X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual DRIVE defragmented

Hello ,
    I have the following problem :

I have a physical server with MS Server 2008 DataCenter on it.

I installed recently a MS server 2003 as a virtual computer .
    I'm am using SCVMM .

In the server 2003 , i had the VHD file , about 48 GB and a ScreenShot about 4 GB.

This server had a lot installed on it and it worked very bad so i thought to do a defrag...i founded later that is a bad ideea.

Now i got the VHD same 48 GB but the AVHD file instead of 4 Gb si 14 GB and the HDD from the Server 2008 is FULL.

Is there somehow i can UNDO this ?

Thank you ,

Re: Virtual DRIVE defragmented

Running defrag inside the virtual machine, especially one with snaphsots, is indeed not a good idea.
    The right way is to use the available tools for VHD files to do a compact (existing in the SCVMM you mentioned - but you did not say what version are you using).
    What else you should have done is to defragment the physical drive.
    Anyway, AFAIK, there is no suh thing UNDO. Unless you can cope with deleting the snaphot...

Added: what virtualization product do you use? VirtualPC? Virtual Server? Hyper-V? I have the feeling this thread is not in the right place ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thank you for your answer ,

I use SCVMM 2008 vers 2.0.3444.0
      and
      Hyper-V Manager
      Microsoft Corporation
      Version: 6.0.6001.18016

So yes i should have post to Hyper V ..sry about that.

Another question come to me that i should put it here but i dont want to open a new thread so here it goes :

This Blade server has a 2x67Hdd (Raid )(this is the virtualization server) and since it has 5 server on it (virtual) we needed to upgrade the memory so now it has 16 GB ram ...but ofcourse after i installed them the pagefile.sys got to be 1xRAM = 16Gb witch is really too much.
      What is the lowest i can se it to ?
      Thank you .
      Please move it to Hyper V if this post shoudl be there.
      Last edited by bnoyzf24; 24th June 2009, 09:12.

Comment

[Moved]
        It will be best to leave the OS to manage the size of the pagefile. I have a similar set-up on my blade servers and I had to use external storage to be able to run multiple virtual machines on it.
        Any chance to upgrade the disks? What blade is it? HP? IBM?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

yes , i thought of the external hardrive myself too but when u change the management console i think it might change the usb port too

I got a IBM BLADE HS21 and it was only 2 usb ports in front .

Comment

I am not talking about a USB disk, but an iSCSI/FC SAN. You cannot use USB disks as reliable media for VHD disks.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

ok , thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
              X