Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Hyper-V

I am new to Hyper-V.

I decided to order myself a Dell R300 and 12GB of RAM for a test server which was shipped today. I have never worked with Hyper-V before and am wondering what I should install on this server, Hyper-V Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 Standard with Hyper-V role?

I have read that Hyper-V Server 2008 requires another PC or SBS 2008 Server just to get to the configuration console and this sound like it could get complicated. Would I be better to install Windows Server 2008 Standard with Hyper-V? Then configure my virtual servers?

In the end, I am after a test Hypervisor platform with two child partitions, one running SBS 2008 Standard and the other running BES 5 in either Server 2008 Standard or Server 2003 standard.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Which Hyper-V

Personally, I would go for the Windows 2008 Server Standard with Hyper-V. Your main consideration would be licensing. Did it come with the server OS CAL? Also, Standard comes with 1 CAL for a Virtual Server. You will need to purchase additional Server CALs for other virtual servers. Enterprise comes with an allowance of 5 and becomes more cost effective, if you have 3 or more virtual servers.

Comment

This is a test platform so I intend to use my TechNet version of Server 2008 and create two virtual servers, one SBS 2008 server and another Windows Server 2003 to put the BES on.

Thanks

Comment

You can also use VMware ESXi or Citrix Xenserver as both are free.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
          This is a test platform so I intend to use my TechNet version of Server 2008 and create two virtual servers, one SBS 2008 server and another Windows Server 2003 to put the BES on.

Thanks
          I see. Use the Enterprise version and have a play around with clustering as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
            Your main consideration would be licensing. Did it come with the server OS CAL? Also, Standard comes with 1 CAL for a Virtual Server. Enterprise comes with an allowance of 5 and becomes more cost effective, if you have 3 or more virtual servers.
            Few notes:
            - Enterprise version comes with four, not five, licenses for VOSEs (Virtual Operating System Environments). Although this is what you meant, Virtual, I would not use the same word, not to confuse other users;
            - the POSE (Physical Operating System Environment) cannot run anything but the virtualization product, in order to use the additional VOSEs. No other roles can be installed;
            @RobW: from what you're saying, I would go for Hyper-V role on a full Server 2008 Enterprise. This way you will be able to learn all the components.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Here is an update of my Hyper-V project:

I have been working on a test platform that would enable me to offer a
              customer a 1-server solution for SBS and a Blackberry Server (BES).
              With SBS 2003, you could install BES 4.1 (express version) directly
              on the SBS server if the number of users was less than 30. With SBS
              2008, you need a separate server because BES will not work on an SBS
              2008 server.

I wanted to keep the overhead down, both price and resources, so I
              went with Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 for my platform. I have two VMs
              installed and running, SBS 2008 and WS2003 (BES 4.1). The obstacle I
              have run into is backups. I want to back up the users shares and the
              Exchange mail store, preferably using Windows Server Backup.

SBS 2008 (VM) does not recognize USB so I attached a USB drive to the
              Hypervisor. In SBS 2008 I added a SCSI controller and attached it to
              the USB drive plugged into the Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 server. The
              USB drive shows up as local drive E: in SBS.

Using Windows Server Backup (SBS backup wizard), I configured and
              scheduled SBS to back up to E:, the external USB drive. The problem
              I encountered is SBS will not recognize a swapped out USB drive. It
              appears that the SBS SCSI controller binds itself to the physical
              hard drive. Consequently, there is no way for a potential customer
              to take their rotated disks offsite.

I have tried a variety of methods for 'prepping' the two USB hard
              drives but as soon as you swap out the original hard drive, the
              backup fails indicating the hard drive cannot be found. If you run
              through the backup wizard and refresh the available drives for
              backup, the USB drive shows up but the backup fails. If you plug the
              original USB drive back in, the backup works.

At the hypervisor end, Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 sees the swapped drives.
              This is confirmed by doing a 'list disk' command in DiskPart.
              Unfortunately, SBS does not recognize the change.

Comment

Not sure if this will work and I'm not in front of a machine in order to try it but what about this:

Mount the external USB hard drive as a folder, then target the backup at the folder. Swap out the drive and see if the mount persists.

I know, it sounds crazy but it just popped in to my head as I was reading your post.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem is Windows Server Backup wants to see a local disk to back up to. It will not allow me to back up to a folder. I need to back up the Exchange mail store as part of the process too.

I was reading on the Microsoft Connect SBS 2008 forum a suggestion from Charlie Russel that I have not tried. He suggested:

Easy. VHD gets created on USB drive. USB drive is mounted by Parent.
                  VHD is dynamically attached to running SBS VM. Backup to VHD. Dynamically
                  unmount VHD. Remove USB, take off site

I do not know what he means by 'dynamically unmount VHD'. I am trying to provide a turnkey solution but if my guess is correct, this suggestion means the customer has to have the Hyper-V Server MMC running on a Vista computer which would be part of the hypervisor workgroup, not the SBS domain.

Comment

Did you ever find a solution to this as I am fighting with the exact same backup problem

Comment

Working...
                    X