Strange problem in working with a Win2k3 VM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange problem in working with a Win2k3 VM

I have a Server 2008 x64 running Hyper V. I am having a really strange problem. I installed a Server 2003 R2 virtual machine, it seems to work fine. I add IIS to run some websites (moodle, wss, and another basic site). Again process goes as usual. Then the problem starts to manifest itself and it is hard to explain. I will list the things I have done and what I have witnessed happening.
    Install PHP - and it works - change from php5isapi.dll to php-cgi.exe but then the changes revert to php5isapi.dll
    Install MySQL - and it works - create a database using mysql command line - then drop the database using command line - but the database comes back Install ASP .NET 3.5 so that I can install Windows Sharepoint Service, ASP shows up in Add Remove Programs, but the Sharepoint install doesn't see it. I can't remove it or reinstall it.
    I created a website in inetmgr, deleted the website, close and open inetmgr again and the website is back.

I have reinstalled the VM from scratch many times. The same problems seem to arise, but at various times. I have burned 3 days on this problem and dont know what to do.

Re: Strange problem in working with a Win2k3 VM

[Mod note]: I can hardly believe this is a Hyper-V related issue. Sounds more like a Server2003 problem, but I won't move the thread for the time being. [\Mod note]
    The order of the installations looks awkward to me. I would try to install only .Net 3.5 and Windows Sharepoint Service and see what's going on.
    Why are you installing PHP and MySQL on the same server?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

I have tried different iterations and different orders of the same installation.

WSS first, then PHP
      PHP, then WSS

I could swear I have done this in VPC 2007.

Comment

This is not what I meant...
        Nowhere in "Determine hardware and software requirements (Windows SharePoint Services)" article neither PHP nore MySQL are mentioned.
        Why are you installing them on a server that has other tasks to do?
        Please install .Net 3.5 and then WSS 3.0 only. Nothing else. If WSS will fail, we'all all know where to start the debugging...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

PHP and MySQL would not be mentioned in any article that Microsoft would put out on Sharepoint.

We have limited resources and I want to combine rolls. All my web services on one box, all of my admin services (trouble ticket, AV, management software) on one box, etc.

Seems reasonable to put them all on a box.

My orginal post never said that WSS failed, rather it said that WSS would not install because the system never saw that .net was installed (even though it was) I could not uninstall it - in order to resintall it (per MS instructions).

Whether or not PHP, MySQL, .net, WSS would install really does not speak to the problems I have seen. They are just symptoms. I deleted a website from in inetmgr - and it "reappeared." Think of it like deleting a Word doc off your system and it being restored from your deleted items without you doing it. I think that you can agree that the deletion of a website (without PHP even installed) and having it reappear is a little strange. I admit I am new to Hyper-V but have been working with Microsoft products for nearly 20 years (MSCE and all that crap). This is indeed strange.

Comment

I have a similar config working on another server - but it is a physical box running Win2k3 (nonR2). Could it be R2 causing problems? Sheesh.

Comment

Working...
            X