Processory Speed in Guest OS Incorrect? - Hyper-V

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Processory Speed in Guest OS Incorrect? - Hyper-V

Before posting, I searched the forums and the main website as well as Google. Wanted to make sure I wasn't wasting anyone's time. I didn't find anything so if it has been answered, I apologize in advance.

I have multiple guest OS's running on Windows Server 2008 SP2 64-bit. I have Two Windows Vista machines (x86 and x64), two additional Server 2008 (x86 and x64), two Windows 7 RC (x86 and x64), and finally, a Windows XP Pro x86. They do not all run at once and they do not run at startup. I manually run them when I need them. They are basically there for testing purposes. Each machine has 1 virtual processor and 2048MB of ram. Below is my problem:

When I log into the guest OS and view Computer Properties, I see the the Processor type is correct but the speed it displays is incorrect. I am currently running on an Athlon x2 6000+ for the guest OS. Below are screenshots of what I am talking about. If anyone has any information regarding this or need some additional information, please let me know.

Screenshots:

Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009-06-04_1155.png
Views:	1
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	468250

Windows Server 2008 SP2 x86

Name:	2009-06-04_1158.png
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	468251

Anyone come across this before?

Re: Processory Speed in Guest OS Incorrect? - Hyper-V

Do you have something like the AMD version of Intel's speedstep running?
    (apologies to AMD users, just not sure what it is called and I'm not saying Intel thought of it first as I have no idea)(end flame bait calming! )
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
      (apologies to AMD users, just not sure what it is called and I'm not saying Intel thought of it first as I have no idea)(end flame bait calming! )
      I don't believe so, I also checked my power profiles for anything strange and I didn't find anything. Anyone know of a way to check if this is enabled? I will be researching on my own but if someone knows, I'm all ears. Also, I just installed SP2 in my Vista Ultimate x64 machine and now it is reading something different:

Vista Ultimate x64:

Name:	2009-06-04_1547.png
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	464081

Also, my Server 2008 x64 hyper-v machine is now showing 3.11GHz

Name:	2009-06-04_1527.png
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	464080

Right now, these are the only virtual machines running.

And again, AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+ 3.0GHz with 8GB of RAM installed on host hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJG247 View Post
        And for AMD Desktop boards, it is called Cool'n'Quiet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool%27n%27Quiet

Now time to figure out if my motherboard/CPU is using it and see if this is, indeed, my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Euphrates View Post
          And for AMD Desktop boards, it is called Cool'n'Quiet:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool%27n%27Quiet

Now time to figure out if my motherboard/CPU is using it and see if this is, indeed, my problem.
          Well, a big thanks to AndyJG247 for putting me in the right direction. After reading up on it some more as well as how to disable it, I found the setting in my BIOS. There is mention in other articles about changing your power scheme in the Windows OS but the BIOS seems to be the way to go.

Once I disabled this setting and rebooted my machine, I was able to boot up 3 virtual machines, (Windows Vista Ultimate x64, Windows Server 2008 x64, and Win7 Ultimate x64) and all of them showed the correct processory speed while running simultaneously.

As always, this forum rocks!

Comment

Thanks, Euphrates, for letting us know you solved the problem...
            It will be nice if you could post the solution, so users that will encounter this in the future will know what to do.
            10nx.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              Thanks, Euphrates, for letting us know you solved the problem...
              It will be nice if you could post the solution, so users that will encounter this in the future will know what to do.
              10nx.
              Essentially, the solution was to go into the BIOS and disable AMD's Cool'n'Quiet setting. I'm using an ASUS M2A-VM AM2 socket motherboard for this machine.

Boot the machine and press <delete> to enter the BIOS configuration screen. Go to Advanced - CPU Configuration - select AMD Cool'n'Quiet Function. Your options are <Auto> and <Disable>. Select <Disabled>. Press <F10> to save and exit and confirm. Let the OS boot.

These steps were for my specific board and BIOS. Consult your documentation for your specific board and BIOS for the specific steps required to change this setting.

(How's that?)

Comment

Originally posted by Euphrates View Post
                (How's that?)
                Actually, looks good. The next user that will encounter this problem will tell you if it's enough or not

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Working...
                X