installation probs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installation probs

Hi, i've downloaded Server 2008 datacenter but when i go to roles there is no option in the list for hyper -v, virtualisation or anything resembling what i want, could my server not be man enough for the job. i know the min requirements, and have been assured by IT that its good enough, so is there any other reason it is a no show, or should i question the IT guys a bit more..

Thanks

Rich

Re: installation probs

Two possible options:
    1) You downloaded the version without HyperV
    2) Virtualisation is not enabled in the BIOS (this will show you the role but not let you install it, so unlikely)

Where did you download it from?
    What are your physical server specs, and how many VMs do you want to run?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Okay, thanks for replying

I downloaded it from links on the Hyper V web site file name GRC1HVxFRE1_DVD.iso

Dont know abot Bios, haven't got to the server yet (Physically), gave IT the file, the installed it and gave me Remote Access.

as for server specs, i've been told its a Dell Poweredge 2850, one point, when i go to the server properties it only says 32 bit OS yet i know the server is 64 bit compatible.

As for VM's, as i said , i'm in eval mode at the moment and wanted a 2008 server version with live migration

Regards

Rich

Comment

Are you saying they installed it as a virtual machine on a 32-bit OS?
        The iso you downloaded should be 64 bit:
        http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hang on, i think ive got it wrong

I'll repost in a minute.

Okay?

rich
          Last edited by Richie; 28th May 2009, 10:51. Reason: wrong info given

Comment

Right, sorted..

I gave you the wrong file name in my previous post, that file name WAS for the stand alone hyper v product.

I downloaded the win 2008datacenter version, now i am just checking to see if it was the one WITH hyper v included

Will get back to you.

Thanks

Rich

Comment

Tom

Ever so sorry, looks like i downloaded the wrong version, one day i'll get to understand microsoft's web sites ....

thanks any way, i'll let you know how i get on.

Rich

Comment

Working...
              X