Proper DNS set up in Hyper-V

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper DNS set up in Hyper-V

I guess this question can go for Hyper-V and VMWare server. My problem is that I have Hyper-V set up with a separate NIC and DNS seems to be "wrong."

I ping the server name and I get the IP of the Hyper-V nic instead of the main NIC that has everything else running on there. What is the correct way to set that up DNS so that requests to the server name go to the non Hyper-V NIC?

I notice the same thing with VMWare server as well since it sets up a a virtual NIC and pings go to that random 192.168 address.

Thanks!

Re: Proper DNS set up in Hyper-V

Why would you want to redirect traffic that is destined for the HOST (i.e. physical server) to the NIC that has all the VM traffic on? Does that make sense?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I don't want to redirect traffic destined for the host. For example:

Hostname: SERVER
      NIC1: 192.168.1.10
      NIC2: 192.168.1.11 (HyperV NIC with 2 VMs)

I ping SERVER and get 192.168.1.11. I want to get 192.168.1.10.

Comment

You could try removing the tick from 'register this connections addressesin DNS' and then remove the incorrect Host record manually in DNS.

Go to the Properties of the 1.11 adapter.

Go to 'Internet Protocol - TCP/IP' properties.

Click advanced

Click on the DNS tab.

The option is there.

However, not sure how it works with the VMs. As they'll have a different IP, I assume that DNS will register them there as appropriate.

Comment

Yes, that should do the trick, and make sure that the X.11 address is gone from the DNS zone, if not, delete it.
          Cheers,

Daniel Petri
          Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
          MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
          X