Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to run 32-bit with 64-bit on one server

Hi all,

Did a search around and could find the right answer.

Is it possible to have server hosting server 2008 running on a 64-bit and then installing server 2003 on a vertual server running at 32-bit hosting our all our tax software and a full SQL 2005 server and on the other virtual server to run server 2008 64 bit hosing exchange 2007?

Is that possible from sofware and hardware point? I guss we will need a "good server?

we are 55 users in the office so our enviroment as far as exchange the SQL consider mid siz as the type of work we do ( we are accountants) we will have 45 poeple working and connecting to the SQL server lots of read and write.

Thank you

Re: Is it possible to run 32-bit with 64-bit on one server

In a word, yes. You will need to make sure the 2008 host Server has enough RAM.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      In a word, yes. You will need to make sure the 2008 host Server has enough RAM.
      Thank you for the reply --> biggles77.

I take it that the hosting operating will be Server 2008 std 64-bit and then the 2 virtual server will run on server 2003 in 32 bit and one 2008 64 bit with exchange - is that the right way to go?

The server will have the maximue amount of memory that server 2008 std edit' will take.

Do you have any suggetions for the structure of the hard drives?

Again thank you for the time.

Comment

Just to confirm that Server 2008 Standard 64bit will have 32GB RAM?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

hi,

If the maximum is 32 GB of RAM then yes it will have.

Again thank you for your reply

Comment

With Exchange and SQL, you have 2 very resource intensive applications plus whatever your other apps require. Don't know if I would want to put all those apples in 1 basket.

What is the rest of the hardware in the Server comprised of?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

hi

Again thank you for your answer.

I was hoping to have 2 raid controller - to control two mirror C:\ and D:\

C:\ will have the server 2008 64 - bit and D:\ will have the virtual 2003 server with SQL 2005

the other raid controller will be with the virtual server hosting server 2008 virtual machine and the exchange 2007 with drive e:\ for the operating system and drive f:\ for the logs and database

This is just an assumption at this stage I don't have any experience with virtual machine.

I am actually starting to think that virtuallization may not be appropriate for our organization at this stage. The more I read about the subject the separation of exchange to one server, sql with all the MYOB software to second and the last one will be the domain controller AD etc.

Thank you
              Avi

Comment

Two separate RAID controllers is also not necessary.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi,

The two raid card will help with the management and speed for the server.

2 mirrors 1 - one card to manage both
                  1 array 5 - one card to manage the raid 5

Thank you
                  Avi

Comment

Avi,

Will you run the hosted VMs on Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual Server 2005?

If yes, know that these applications will not allow for 64-bit hosts.

If not, and if you'll use Hyper-V, then what is this thread doing here?
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

That is corret - I should have moved this thread. I do apologies for all.
                      What will be the best way to move?

Comment

I will move it.
                        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

What are the specifications of the candidate server's hardware? Have you already planned something?
                          This is what I would do:
                          Software:
                          Windows Server 2008 Enterprise for the host. By using the Enterprise version instead of the Standard, you will be able to run up to four virtual machines on the physical server withut need of additional server licenses. Standard allows you only one. Limitation: the physical server cannot hold any other task but virtualization. More about licensing here: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...r%20hi-res.pdf .
                          From what I saw so far, you need only three servers, so it should be enough (and you still have one spare for future use).
                          I would go for the full version, not Core. It will be easier for you to manage.
                          And no, don't think about using the maximum RAM amount this version supports (we're talking 2TB here ).

Hardware:

The RAM considerations are like this:
                          - host: 2GB minimum, 4GB max;
                          - VM1 - 32bit 2003 server for legacy application: as much as it needed on the physical server, but no more than 4GB ;
                          - VM2 - 32bit 2003 server for SQL Server 2005 : 2GB min., 4GB max;
                          - VM3 - 64bit 2008 server with Exchange2007 : anywhere between 4GB and 8GB, daniel can give you better assesment about the RAM the server needs, according to the number or users you have.
                          So, we have reached between 10GB and 20GB RAM. You know, the more, the merrier. You can afford the 32GB RAM, go for it, but it will be too much on Day1.
                          Network: an additional Quad-port NIC card will be best. This assuming the server will come with two NICs embbeded. This way, you will have a NIC for each virtual machine (on the added card) and two for the host.
                          Storage: the host's OS will be best to sit on two mirrored 72GB SAS or SCSI disks. The virtual machines will reside on an RAID5 270GB disk (brutto: 3x146GB disks), at least 10kRPM, best SAS. Certainly not SATA. No need for two controllers, and no need to place every virtual machine on a partition of its own... One big partition is enough.
                          Power: redudant power supply compulsory. And a UPS that can holds your server for at least 30 minutes in full speed. I would go for an APC. You can calculate alone what you need here: http://www.apcc.com/tools/ups_selector/index.cfm .

Regarding the server itself, I myself am very pleased with HP servers. Especially DL360G5 (G6 is also available, did not played with it yet). You have place for 6 disks inside, so there is one more space for further expansion (of the RAID5, of course) in the future.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                          -

Comment

hi,

again thanks for the reply.
                            I am going to have a close look at this to see what is the best way to do it.

I will email shortly again

Comment

Hi Sorino,

Thank you very much for that I had s quick look at your suggestion and I like it.

We have a budget to get a Powerful server if you need - 16GB or 32GB RAM the pricing of RAM is not that expensive. What do you mean by "It will be too much on day1"?

I was looking at the DELL PowerEdge R710R as an option but I will have a look at the HP DL360G5.

As to the size of our environment we are a small firm with 55 users at this stage. The MYOB software is very intensive and the document management is very intensive as well. Users are working a lot on the network with a software installed on their computers which access the server for the calculations (we are accountants) so downtime is something that I must prevent as much as possible.
                              How easy it is to back up and restore a virtual server and to backup and restore the file on the VMs? I am planning to use the ibac software to external hard drive solution.

Will I be able to connect an external storage device to the server and allocate it to a specific VM?
                              I was looking at the Dell Powervault MD1000 with 15 hard drives of 1.5 TB each.

I think I am going to buy the Microsoft Hyper-V training DVD, I must understand this software.
                              I have an IBM server I am going to find if I can install Microsoft Hyper-V for training.

Again thank you for all of you.

Comment

Working...
                              X