Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I use FiberChannel Storage(SAN) for a Pass Through Disk on a Guest???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use FiberChannel Storage(SAN) for a Pass Through Disk on a Guest???

Before I put my foot in my mouth, I wanted to post on the forum.

Everythign I have been reading point back to support of iSCSI and there are numerous posts saying you can t use FC as a pass through disk.

My plan is to run SQL and performance is a priory.

My proposed solution was:

Create a LUN with defined storage size on the Hyper-V Host Server(Dell Blade attached to FC EMC SAN)
    Create a VM with a passthrough disk pointing to the Storage LUN I defined on the parent server.
    Enjoy the speed and watch the server fly.

Does this make sense???

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

-Justin

Re: Can I use FiberChannel Storage(SAN) for a Pass Through Disk on a Guest???

My setting is like this:
    HP DL360G5 host, connected to an HP MSA2012 iSCSI SAN. I defined a 10GB disk on the MSA and mapped it to the host. I saw it in the host as an offline disk.
    I had no problems in attaching the disk as a PassThrough disk to a test virtual machine, I formatted it from within the VM and wrote files on it... Could not test speeds and such, though, so cannot tell you anything about performance... Especially since your working FC and I am using iSCSI.
    HTH.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that iSCSI is much easier to work with in regards to Hyper-V as far as compatability.

I need to find out what limitations there are with working with FC, if any?

-Justin

Comment

Personally, I don't know... I'll try to look around to see if anything comes up ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X