Hyper-V Backup stategies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Backup stategies

We're currently running 3 servers internally, ISA, CRM/SQL and Exchange/DC/File and Print. We've now got a new server and are planning for everything running in Hyper-V.

Plan is for a physical ISA Server (Will be TMG when it's finally out of Beta) and a Server Core installation as the Hyper-V host. The problem is what to do about backups. What we were thinking is a virtual backup server running Backup Exec 12.5 backing up each of the virtual servers using Remote Agents.

Main questions really are:-
    1. Can the Hyper-V host be backed up via a virtual machine?
    2. Any potential issues with this setup E.g. Tape Drivers in virtual machine etc

We'd like to avoid re-using one of the old servers as a Backup server, that is of course an option if this solution isn't viable. I haven't been able to find much documentation or best practices regarding Hyper-V backups through Technet, Symantec or Google, at least not specifically relating to Backup Exec, so any advice is appreciated.
    BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
    sigpic
    Cruachan's Blog

Re: Hyper-V Backup stategies

Hi,

Is this any good: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../dd252619.aspx
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Thanks, that helps in terms of what Microsoft recommend. It's quite high level though and doesn't mention any specifics as regards backup software.

I suppose I'm hoping that someone is running a Hyper-V network with Backup Exec installed really.
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Yeah, that refers to any backup application that supports it. With Windows Server Backup being their primary focus. But it looks like this is also supported in Backup exec 12.5.
        Now, from the practical viewpoint I can't add anything
        Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

I'm wondering now if we should re-install the host as a full install of 2K8 and install Backup Exec there rather than having it running Server Core. It all depends on whether or not a virtual machine can backup a physical host at the moment.

I sense an experiment coming on.

sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Go for it mate,
            ...don't forget the Antistatic wristband
            Caesar's cipher - 3

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Off topic: Dexter's Laboratory is one of my favorites cartoons.

Comment

It occurs to me that the lack of SCSI support in Hyper-V makes this discussion moot: we have no choice but to either use a seperate physical server or re-install the current host as full blown Server 2008 and install BackupExec there.

Joeqwerty: I always loved it to, that and Jonny Bravo.
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
                  It occurs to me that the lack of SCSI support in Hyper-V makes this discussion moot: we have no choice but to either use a seperate physical server or re-install the current host as full blown Server 2008 and install BackupExec there.
                  Yes, I would recommend dedicating a physical server with BE12.5 or equivalent so that you can do VSS backups of the VHDs.

However, you can install BE12.5 on a Guest and write the files to disk via a pass through disk. From there you can write that folder to tape or whatever you are using currently.

I currently use snapshots and a BESR8.5(BackupExec System Recovery) install to backup the data covering the process from both ends, within the Guest(file based image) and from the Host (snapshots). Its easy to just roll back to a snapshot and the BESR backup allows granular file restores.

Hope this helps.

-Justin

Comment

Working...
                  X