Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System Center Configuration on Hyper-V

Hi everyone ,

I want to install SCC on windows 2008 hyper-V edition. You know that windows 2008 hyper-v edition is a special edition of MS and it is free. I need installation and managments documents of SCC.

Re: System Center Configuration on Hyper-V

Originally posted by Nalu View Post
    Hi everyone ,

I want to install SCC on windows 2008 hyper-V edition. You know that windows 2008 hyper-v edition is a special edition of MS and it is free. I need installation and managments documents of SCC.
    This is a good starting point with regards to SCCM.

http://www.microsoft.com/systemcente...s/default.aspx

I would also recommend looking at the System center suite and in particular this one specific to VMs.

http://www.microsoft.com/systemcente...t-details.aspx

Comment

I find it diificult to see the connection between this question and Hyper-V... I think it should be in the System Management forum.
      If it will go that way, I will move it...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
        I find it diificult to see the connection between this question and Hyper-V... I think it should be in the System Management forum.
        If it will go that way, I will move it...
        SCC is can be used "on" Windows 2008 hyper-v edition and it is very hard to implement it. You have to know configuration very well.

Comment

SCC is can be used "on" Windows 2008 hyper-v edition and it is very hard to implement it. You have to know configuration very well.
          My links below give you information regarding System Center. Your post is to do with System Center rather than Hyper-V. I would have thought there is nothing special with installation within a VM. The idea of a VM is to seem like a normal PC to other machines.

Comment

I think, reading the post, he wants to install SC on the physical machine running Windows 2008 Hyper-V edition, not on the VMs within that

Can Nalu please explain exactly what he is after?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well, I read twice both OP's posts.
              I think the OP wants SCCM installed on top of Hyper-V Server 2008 (this might be the free product mentioned earlier).
              Nalu, please confirm this is what you need. If so, you will need to create a virtual machine (parent partition) on the Hyper-V server and install SSCM in it.
              We are waiting for your explanations...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

I have a windows 2008 hyper-v and you know it is totaly free software. And i have all SCC applications. Windows hyper-v edition have not gui but i think that you can install SCC on hyper-v edition. I just want to install SCC on Windows hyper-v .

Comment

I have a windows 2008 hyper-v and you know it is totaly free software. And i have all SCC applications. Windows hyper-v edition have not gui but i think that you can install SCC on hyper-v edition. I just want to install SCC on Windows hyper-v .
                  In which case, Sorinso has answered your question.

Comment

The correct name of the product is Windows Hyper-V Server 2008, to differentiate it from Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V. And SCC is SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager - I hope!).
                    Please use the right names, otherwise we cannot understand what you have and what you need.
                    You cannot install any applications on top of the Hyper-V Server. It is a hypervisor layer, its only task is to allow you to run virtual machines...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Or SCC should be System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM)
                      Marcel
                      Technical Consultant
                      Netherlands
                      http://www.phetios.com
                      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

I get the impression that hyper-v has been downloaded as a free add-on to Windows 2008 server. Am I right in saying that System Center products can be installed on a server that also has the hyper-v role installed and I take it that it can be installed in a VM as well, for some of the product line?

Comment

Originally posted by Dumber View Post
                          Or SCC should be ...
                          That should be SCVMM, not SCC...
                          Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                          I get the impression that hyper-v has been downloaded as a free add-on to Windows 2008 server.
                          There are two products that contain Hyper-V in their names:
                          - Hyper-V role in Windows Server 2008 (Standard Edition and up). It is downloaded as an OS update, hence it is free. It is added to the server as a role;
                          - Windows Hyper-V Server 2008, that is a different product, downloadable from Microsoft's site free. It is almost 1GB in size. It is the hypervisor version, Microsoft's response to VMWare's ESX (ESXi was released later, as the VMWare's free product). It has no GUI (even less than Core) and as such, no other application can be installed on it. It only knows to hold virtual machines.
                          Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                          Am I right in saying that System Center products can be installed on a server that also has the hyper-v role installed and I take it that it can be installed in a VM as well, for some of the product line?
                          No doubt that an 2008 Server can hold multiple roles and run multiple applications. Nevertheless, licensing issues can arise. For instance, if we're talking about the Standard version with Hyper-V role on it, and there is a virtual machine running on the server, you cannot run applications on the POSE (physical OS environment). So, the correct answer to your statement is "Maybe"
                          I suggest we wait for more data from the OP, I feel we run in circles here...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

First off all you install Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 then you install vista gui add-on and you can install SCVMM.

Comment

Thanks for your explanation Sorinso. I went to a Virtualisation Unplugged seminar regarding the technology but didn't realise Windows Hyper-V Server 2008 was free. So effectively, I could virtualise some of my existing physical servers and providing they are no longer used, I will be covered license wise?

Comment

Working...
                              X