No announcement yet.

VMware v Hyper V (was: Lets be honest)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VMware v Hyper V (was: Lets be honest)

Hi

We are looking at virtualising our set up and are looking at VM ware, however with Microsofts Hyper V out there i would like to know some opinions of it

So if you are using this software, how is it performing

Rich
    Last edited by Richie; 13th February 2009, 14:02. Reason: realised my original wording might have been to agresive

Re: Lets be honest

Hi Richie,

Be careful with your titles for posts. It may have been better to have done

VMware v Hyper V - it may have been done before as a post.

Just a friendly warning. It will be worth looking at the forum rules.

Comment

Point taken.

When you move about between forums where some have different rules etc you can get a bit carried away.

I'll see if i can change it , if not can a mod do it for me (thoughts on Hyper V)

Thanks

Rich

Comment

Fair enough Richie. I haven't used Hyper-V in a production environment myself yet so wouldn't like to pass comment. I believe it has to be installed on a 64 bit environment.

Comment

It requires 64-bit hardware and is the only bare-metal hypervisor Microsoft support for virtualising Exchange 2007.

What are you intending to virtualise? On how many servers? Please give full details so that people can give answers that are relevant to you.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Okay here goes

We are thinking of virtualising up to 30 servers. consisting of data servers, sql servers, and exchange servers.

Using VM ware and WMotion will cost us approx 16,000, so if Hyper v is a capable and viable alternative, i need to find out.

so if you are using it in trial or production environment, please tell me about your experiences

thanks

Rich

Comment

Anything with high I/O I have found unsuitable for virtualisation. I wouldn't personally virtualise data shares etc.

Comment

I would never virtualise Exchange, and definately not SQL.

If you're virtualising domain controllers, Microsoft say to keep at least one on a physical server, and not to virtualise FSMO role holders (will post the link when I find it again).
                Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

so lets get this right...

dont virtualise high I/O ie data shares

Dont do SQL

Dont do Exchange

Microsoft recommend not to virtualise DC's

so...what does that leave to virtualise.......

Rich

Comment

Again, Microsoft support Exchange 2007 virtualisation with Hyper-V.

You can virtualise application servers. DCs other than FSMO role holders. At the end of the day, all we can give is an opinion - it's up to you to decide what and how to virtualise.
                    Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks Gareth

Well thats what i'm after, everyone's opinion, not only on Hyper V but on virtualisation in general, what servers have people virtualised, which software

I know at the end of the day it's my decision, just want to know all my options, from actual users, not salespeople.

rich

Comment

I've used DCs in a Virtualised environment, DHCP and DNS and it has been ok. I have used Sharepoint in a virtualised environment with separate SQL server and it has been an acceptable speed for practicing but was far too slow for production. Again, high I/O as SQL contains the data.

DHCP and DNS are probably ideal. DCs are good as a fail over. If you had to, you could give them FSMO roles in an emergency.

You may consider virtualisation of software for client applications.

You could always create a virtalised environment and test using Virtual Server. It's a free way of testing.

I don't know whether you have attended any MCSE courses or other Microsoft courses for that case, they often use a virtualised environment for the practical work.

Comment

Hi,

Check this blog post regarding The Domain Controller Dilemma

Personally i have seen datacenters , Hosting companies, where all their servers are virtualized.

They had sql, scom, mom , exchange, dc, IIS, sharepoint, etc ....

with high availability and clustering.

All were virtualized using Hyper-V.
                          Tarek Majdalani
                          MS Forefront Edge Security MVP

Comment

Re: VMware v Hyper V (was: Lets be honest)

Then Hyper-V does sound a good opton then. Anyone familiar with VMware to give a comparison for the original question.

Comment

Originally posted by elmajdal View Post
                              Hi,

Check this blog post regarding The Domain Controller Dilemma

Personally i have seen datacenters , Hosting companies, where all their servers are virtualized.

They had sql, scom, mom , exchange, dc, IIS, sharepoint, etc ....

with high availability and clustering.

All were virtualized using Hyper-V.
                              What sort of hardware/resources (RAM, CPU etc) were they using? I believe this relates as Richie has mention 30 servers but not what they will be running on. I mean, I could dump 30 Virtuals on a Dual Quad with 16GB RAM but it wouldn't run that good.

And just for some humour, I have "colleagues " who think it is acceptable to run the Virtual DC on the Physical DC and can't see the problem with that.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X