No network connectivity on Guests

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No network connectivity on Guests

Hi everyone, I am experienced a very weired experience with my new Hyper-V server.

* I installed Windows 2008 x64 Std Core and Hyper-V on IBM X3550 7978
    * My Host server is fine, it is getting IP and normal connectivity (it is connected to Cisco Switch 3750 on regular "Computer" port)
    * I configured the "Virtual Network Manager" with an External adapter (connected to the physical one) and no Vlans
    * I Installed several Guests Virtual Machines (W 2003 and 200 and the Hyper-v tools on each one
    * I have no connectivity on the guests (APIPA addresses), I can see in the guest network adapter activity that they are "sent" packets but no "received" packets
    * In the device manage of the guests I have only "Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus network adapter"

I tried to change switch port, I installed Broadcom updated drivers and several other things like trying "legacy network adapter".

Any idea ? I am getting crazy
    Last edited by hasdou; 7th February 2009, 09:17.

Re: No network connectivity on Guests

How are you managing your Hyper-V server, given the fact it is a Core version? From another Win2008 server? From a Vista computer? Or from inside the core (CLI)?
    Try to give your machines static IP addresses and see if they do manage to contact the LAN.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Thank you for helping but :
      * I manage my core server from another Win 2008
      * I tried to give manual IP but same result (only send packets - not working)

Any other idea ?

Comment

"But" ?!? Is there anything else you would like to tell, so we can get the whole picture, instead of asking every detail?
        The other 2008 Server you manage your Hyper-V from is also Core? Or does it have GUI?
        The IBM X3550 7978 has two integrated NICs. How did you configure them? Are they one for the host and the other one for the VMs?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

I just found my problem.

The CISCO switch port connected to my server was configured as "computer".
          I changed it and configured as "Access Point" then all my Guests started to get IP's and work.

I don't use VLANs into Hyper-V but I guess it good to know

Thank you for helping,

Comment

I am glad you solved the problem.
            And thank you for updating the forum...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
            X