• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing hyper-v

Given: VMware workstation 6.5
    Thinkpad T61P with Intel CoreDuo T7300 processor
    VT and DEP are enabled in the BIOS
    Server 2008 Enterprise x64 as a virtual machine inside VMware Workstation

Problem: When i try to install the Hyper-V role on the Server 2008 Enterprise x64 virtual machine inside VMWare tells me the processor is not compatible....thus I cannot install the Hyper-V role.

Re: installing hyper-v

I think the problem is not with the physical hardware of the laptop, but with the emulated hardware in VMware. The emulated hardware doesn't support Hyper-V.

So you're trying to install Hyper-V inside a VM? May I ask why? What are you trying to prove with this?

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services

Well i've tested it either, to use it as a study guidance.
        To buy specfic hardware for only testing with Hyper-V was a bit overdone.

however, it won't work.
        Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
        "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
        "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Hyper-V requires specific hardware. You will need the following:
          • An x64-based processor. Hyper-V will be available only in the x64-based versions of Windows Server 2008, the x64-based versions of Windows Server 2008 Standard, Windows Server 2008 Enterprise, and Windows Server 2008 Datacenter.
          • Hardware-assisted virtualization. This is available in processors that include a virtualization option; specifically, Intel VT or AMD Virtualization
          • Hardware Data Execution Protection (DEP) must be available and be enabled. Specifically, you must enable Intel XD bit (execute disable bit) or AMD NX bit (no execute bit).
          I think in a Virtual Machine, it wont match the above requirements.

i remember having the same issue when i tried to install the Hyper-V role inside a virtual machine ( child ) that is created in Hyper-V ( parent ).
          Tarek Majdalani
          MS Forefront Edge Security MVP