No announcement yet.

Hyper-V scenario

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V scenario

Hi everyone,

I will move my DC server, Echange server, ISA server to hyper-v servers. What is the best scenario for this applications?

Example : Hyper-v core edition for 1 or 2 servers with 4 cpu and 1 server for hyper-v management.

Re: Hyper-V scenario

What operating systems on the virtual servers?
    For example, Exchange 2007 should not be virtualised (see Exchange forum for link)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

We are using IIS5, IIS6, DC and file server on win2k3 , Exchange 2003 , SQL 2005 , MS VPN , RRAS and ISA 2006

I think you will need a consultant to come and map exactly the systems you have there, their workload and other aspects (like mission-critical tasks and downtime acceptable).
        One thing I can tell you is that you will need one DC on physical server, it is not a good thing to have all DCs on VMs.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Is ISA server acting as a firewall or a proxy server?
          Technical Consultant

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

proxy only.

Microsoft strongly recommend that you do not virtualise:

• FSMO role holders
              • Global Catalogs (IIRC - could be wrong, I play it safe by not virtualising DCs)
              • Exchange
              • SQL Server
              • Anything else that's performance intensive
              Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Personally, I have nothing against virtualizing DCs, as long as there's at least one GC that's not in a VM...

In any case, planning your VM environment and tuning the VMs is related to running a capacity planning tool or manually doing it. There are some server roles that simply are'nt good for running on a VM, while others have no problem and performance is hardly impacted. As sorinso said - If you don't have the skills to do it on your own, hire a consultant to do it for you.

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT