Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V equivilent to VMConverter?

Hi all,

Does Hyper-V have an equivilent tool like VMConverter ()?

Re: Hyper-V equivilent to VMConverter?

If you are talking about P2V capabilities, than SCVMM2008 is your answer.
    It is RTM and is available for download @MSDN. There is also a trial version available.
    Note: it is not free.
    For Virtual Server 2005 there was a rather complicated way to use free products... I don't know if it works with Hyper-V though.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

I want to create images of a few servers, and have these available on a 2008 Hyper-V server dedicated to disaster recovery.

I have downloaded SCVMM2008 using my Technet subscription - can I just install this on the server that I want to virtualise?

Comment

Originally posted by Shiminator View Post
        can I just install this on the server that I want to virtualise?
        No, the product should be installed on a separate server. You can install then the Management Console on your computer and manage all the virtualized environment from your desktop. Among the actions you can do from there is to start a P2V process, which will convert a physical server to a virtual machine.
        All this is on the theoretical side. You did not say anything about your environment (what is the host(s?), what are the candidates for the P2V process and so on)...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

I have a number of customers with 2003 and 2003 SBS servers. I want to compile images of these servers on a 2008 Server with Hyper-V.

Ideally I would be able to make the P2V images to removable storage, then remove from the customer site. I have done this using VMConvertor, then used Vmdk-2-vhd to convert the VMs, but this can sometimes be problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiminator View Post
            make the P2V images to removable storage, then remove from the customer site.
            Ouch! Never tried such a scenario. You can try and install SCVMM on a laptop (just be sure it complies to the sotware and hardware requirements) ...
            Have no idea if the licensing agreement allows you to do such a thing ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Watch this space

Comment

It will be more than nice if you would post back with the results

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

hi try this tool its not free but best tool for p2v in hyper v world far quicker than scvmm2008 and cheaper

http://www.vizioncore.com/vConverter.html

Comment

Working...
                  X