Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008: Technical Overview

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008: Technical Overview

"Get a sneak peek at System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008, the newest version of VMM. Learn about all the new features of VMM 2008, including support for Hyper-V and VMware ESX management. This is a must see session for Hyper-V and VMware users to see the latest Microsoft System Center virtualization management tool."

http://www.microsoft.com/emea/teched...lt.aspx?vid=46
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Re: Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008: Technical Overview

Thanks Daniel.

Can you (or anyone else for that matter) comment on the licensing part of though?

This is really not clear.

http://www.microsoft.com/Systemcente...licensing.aspx

http://www.thincomputing.net/blog/sc...announced.html

Thanks
    Maish
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
    VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
    MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
    A proud husband and father of 3 girls
    If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

What exactly is not clear regarding the licensing of the product? Your question is too vague for an exact answer...
      You have to buy a license for every host you manage. With that license you can manage an unlimited number of virtual machines on every specific host.
      Anyway, the pricing for SCVMM2008 can be found here.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Thanks for the Link Sorin.

Per host I manage I get but does that include Hosts that are not Windows - i.e. Xen/Vmware?

Server Management Suite Enterprise (SMSE) - Which includes it all. Is this per Physical Host as well?
        Maish
        Technodrone|@maishsk|Author of VMware vSphere Design
        VMware vExpert 2013-2010,VCAP5-DCA/DCD,VCP
        MSCA 2000/2003, MCSE 2000/2003
        A proud husband and father of 3 girls
        If you find the information useful please don't forget to give reputation points sigpic.

Have a good one!!

Comment

Originally posted by Maish View Post
          Per host I manage I get but does that include Hosts that are not Windows - i.e. Xen/Vmware?
          Microsoft only say "physical host", with no reference to the virtualization product. Note that SCVMM2008 can manage VMWare hosts, but Xen management is not available yet. All speakers promise that will be available in the future.

Originally posted by Maish View Post
          Server Management Suite Enterprise (SMSE) - Which includes it all. Is this per Physical Host as well?
          Indeed. The important question is what are you going to implement? If you need only SCVMM, then I would opt for the stand-alone version of SCVMM, and not as part of the Enterprise Suite (unlike the previous version, SCVMM2008 can be purchased by itself).
          If you plan to implement all the products from the SMSE, then you should buy it all.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X