Whats the difference? and Why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the difference? and Why?

Ok what is the difference in server 2008 with hyper V and Hyper V server 2008.

One is free and one is not ,I know. But what is the differences in the usage.

Re: Whats the difference? and Why?

Roughly:
    Server 2008 with Hyper V allows you to run virtual machines on top of the physical OS, which can have its own functionality. Also you are licensed to run a certain number of VMs "free"

HyperV Server 2008 will only run VMs, nothing else on the physical OS, and you must license each VM separately
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      HyperV Server 2008 will only run VMs, nothing else on the physical OS, and you must license each VM separately
      So it's MS' ripof.. version of Xen?
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

So the hyper v 2008 server is like citrix. Ok does it have limitations on how many virtuals there can be on it? And I take it the supported OS's are the same with them both.

Comment

Originally posted by jtullous View Post
          So the hyper v 2008 server is like citrix.
          If you're talking about Xen, then Yes. "Citrix" is a rather wide term, you know... Hyper-V server is the bare-metal solution. It does not need a supporting Operating System.

Originally posted by jtullous View Post
          Ok does it have limitations on how many virtuals there can be on it? And I take it the supported OS's are the same with them both.
          The hardware is your true limitation... From the Hyper-V point of view, it can support up to 192 virtual machines.
          I suggest you take a look at product's FAQ, you will find there more answers to your questions.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Working...
          X