Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper V Networking

Hi all

Just installed Hyper v, and i am totaly new to this , we are looking to implement it in our network, And i am having a few teething issues.

I have installed the latest version of Hyper v and have created a 64 bit vista install, i can launch and start this through hyper v which is fine, but i am unable to get the network connected on the virtual machine i have setup the virtual network which is set to external, the machine consists of 1 NIC, but i am having no luck, can anybody help?.

Also if i wanted to install two or three OS's on a bank of disks ie: exchange a vista machine and an XP machine, how would i go about giving them all fixed ip adresses, would the host have to have a NIC for each OS?

Thanks in advance

John

Re: Hyper V Networking

Howdie.
    Originally posted by pepps1976 View Post
    I have installed the latest version of Hyper v
    Which one? Have you installed Windows Server 2008 and Hyper-V on top of it, or the Windows Hyper-V Server 2008?

i am unable to get the network connected on the virtual machine i have setup the virtual network which is set to external, the machine consists of 1 NIC
    It will be nice if you could post a screenshot from Virtual Network Manager from your Hyper-V Manager. Also, how is the network in the virtual Vista machine set? To DHCP or static IP? What happens when you try to ping any host from the outside?

Also if i wanted to install two or three OS's on a bank of disks ie: exchange a vista machine and an XP machine, how would i go about giving them all fixed ip adresses
    You set IP addresses in a virtual machine the same way you set it in a physical one. You will need, of course, three different addresses. But first you'll need to solve the issue of accessing the virtual machines from the outside of the host.
    would the host have to have a NIC for each OS?
    These are two different questions, so the answers are separated. You don't have to, especially in a test environment. But if you're talking about production machines (especially when you mentioned Exchange), than you might find that one NIC for all the traffic is not enough. As I said in one of my posts, the professional guys have one physical port for every guest machine, one for the host and another for managing the virtualization product.

I hope all this helps you a bit.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hi

Thanks for your reply, i managed to solve the problem, i did not have the correct drivers installed on the virtual machine.

All is ok now thanks again

john

Comment

Great, John!!
        I am glad you solved the problem and thank you very much for updating the forum with the outcome.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X