X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on MS Hyper Licensing

Hi Folks,

My query is regarding the licensing:
    1)Do I need to purchase CALs for hosts accessing the Base Box Machine (HYPER-V Server)?
    2)What type of editions should i use for the below scenario?
    I have read that
    -if windows 2008 STD Edition with Hyper-V is purchased then it is licensed for 1 Physical Server OS and 1 Virtual Server OS (i.e. one product key for the physical server and one product key for the virtual server running WS 2003 or WS 2008 ). So, if I need to add more virtual servers, then do i need to buy the respective Server OS license or how to go about.

-if windows 2008 ENT Edition with Hyper-V is purchased then it is licensed for 1 Physical Server OS and 4 Virtual Server OS (i.e. one product key for the physical server and 4 product keys for the virtual servers running (WS 2003 or WS 2008 ). So, if I need to add more virtual servers, then do i need to buy the respective Server OS license or how to go about.?.

I would really like your help in understanding the virtualization licensing part (how to go about).

How should I go about the licenses purchasing for the below mentioned scenario.?.

Below is the scenario that i planned for the Virtualization and Server Roles Implementation:
    The Server Configuration:
    DELL POWEREDGE 2950
    2 x Xeon Quad Core Processors,
    16 GB Memory,
    8 x 146 GB SAS HDD.

This Dell server shall be the installed with Windows Server 2008 (Edition = STD or ENT) with HYPER-V Role. It shall host minimum 2 and maximum 4 Virtual Hosts (Severs) running Windows Server 2008 (Edition = STD or ENT). The 1st Virtual Server shall be a Domain Controller and DNS Server; the 2nd shall be a File & Print Server.

Thanks,

cyber_it

Re: Help on MS Hyper Licensing

Hyper-V Licensing does have its tricky bits.

After you have used your included licenses (1+1 STD, 1+4 ENT) for each individual VM that you add, you need to purchase a normal server license. At the current time, there are no specific "Virtual" licenses (with the exception of the initial licenses)

During the Server '08 launch, I had a chance to speak with Robbie Upcroft (GM SMB Microsoft Australia) and explained in more detail the licensing model. He stated that your regular Server licenses will will on both Hyper-V VM's and physical machines.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X