Hyper V Stand Alone Version

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper V Stand Alone Version

Anyone know Hyper V (Without 200 can be downloaded from Technet yet? I know it's due for release within a few months but I would have though technet direct customers could have downloaded a Beta.

I've searched the site but can't find anything

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Hyper V Stand Alone Version

there's the RTM update available, but a standalone install?..
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

I want to install Hyper V on a server without an OS i.e. only hyper V and then install the OS over HyperV - MS are due to release this soon for free but I wanted to see if there was a Beta version

Michael
      Michael Armstrong
      www.m80arm.co.uk
      MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

you probably mean the server2k8 hyper-v version.

should be available soon. but I see no point in using it really

Comment

According to Microsoft speakers during the getVirtualnow! day I attended on Tuesday this week, the product will be available to the public starting the beginning of October. More details available on the product's site.
          From what I heard during the same day during unofficial talks is that the product will be like a stripped-down Windows 2008 Server Core, richer in its features than ESXi. We'll see...
          Dimitri, can I ask why are you burying the guy even before it was born?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by DYasny View Post
            but I see no point in using it really
            Care to give reasons?

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk

Comment

well, I have had some experience with hyper-v by now, and I was not impressed.

ESXi gives you a serious portion of the enterprise ESX product for free, while the MS product has less functionality, is buggy as hell (NOT production material for sure, QA/QC purposes - maybe) and is not reliable.

I have seen it completely scramble up snapshot files, irreversibly destroy VM files during import/exports and overclutter the VM directories with useless junk files during pretty standard procedures, like taking snapshots.

overall, there are some nice features, like the possibility to locally connect to a VM, but that is definitely not worth the hassle.

I seriously think that every datacentre failure is stressful, and a VM server is a micro-DC. nerve cells do not regenerate, not mine, nor the users'

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                From what I heard during the same day during unofficial talks is that the product will be like a stripped-down Windows 2008 Server Core, richer in its features than ESXi. We'll see...
                Actually, from what I heard, it's actually a Server Core with only one role: Hyper-V.

We'll see.
                Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
                  Actually, from what I heard, it's actually a Server Core with only one role: Hyper-V.

We'll see.
                  that's what we've been told as well

Comment

Which, coming to think about, can be quite easily accomplished without the need of an additional or special OS. However the major benefits are in the fact that unlike regular Win2008 Server Core, this product will be totally free (I still do not know if it will require any sort of activation though).
                    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
                    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Working...
                    X