Hyper-V Licensing Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Licensing Question

Yes, I know I should ask Microsoft for the "official" answer....

Does anyone know if the Server2008 "Virtual" Licenses (one per Std and 4 per Ent) have downgrade rights to the appropriate 2003 version?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Hyper-V Licensing Question

You're asking about what OSes you can install in the virtual machines? IIRR, any Microsoft OS supported by the virtualization product...
    But I have no documents/links/articles to support that at the moment ...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

Comment

So far all indications say yes you can downgrade the VOSE to 2003, while keeping the Physical at 2008.

You may run one instance of the server software in the physical operating system environment (POSE) and one instance of the server software in a virtual operating system environment (VOSE). When running both instances, the instance of the server software running in the POSE may only be used to manage and service the operating system environments on the server. You may move instances of the server software to a server that is already properly licensed to support such added instance(s).
      This limitation means that the POSE is only intended to be used as a management server to mange the VOSE and not to service clients (DC, Exchange, IIS, etc...)

That being said, since you do have downgrade rights and 1+1 rights the only way to use both is to downgrade the VOSE.

However I will check some more sources to get a more definite answer, not a logical deduction.
      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Thanks!
        Much appreciated
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I never encountered any relation between the type of the VOSE (to mantain Lior's terminology), but only the number of them: if you're using the Standard edition, you can install an additional VM in it, with the Enterprise, there are 4 of those (VOSEs) without need for additional licenses. This does not mean all VOSEs should be the same as the POSE! BTW, the same licensing formula was for 2003 server too, not onnly for 2008. So, if you want to get ridd of some NT4.0 dynosaur, or an old stubborn application that only works on Windows98, virtualization is your man! With this 1+1 or 1+4 formula.
          I found this in Virtual Machine Technology FAQ :
          Q. How many Windows Server licenses do I need for my virtual machines?
          A.Each installed copy of a Windows server operating system must be licensed separately. For example, if you are setting up four virtual machines within Virtual Server 2005 to run one instance of Microsoft Windows 2000 Server and three instances of Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 at the same time, you will need one Windows 2000 Server license and three Windows NT Server 4.0 licenses. These licenses are in addition to the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 host license running Virtual Server 2005. You must have or acquire Windows Server licenses for the maximum number of copies of the software that will be installed or run.
          With the Microsoft Windows Server 2003 operating system, Enterprise Edition, you receive use rights for four virtual machines under one physical license. In this case, if you are setting up four virtual machines within Virtual Server 2005 to run one instance of Windows 2000 Server and three instance of Windows NT Server 4.0 at the same time, you will need to purchase only one Windows Server 2003, Enterprise Edition license as the host.
          I think the answer resides here...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
          In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -
          «««««

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
            ........ relation between the type of the VOSE (to mantain Lior's terminology).....
            It is not my terminology exactly, its what MS called them.

You quoted FAQ however is exactly the answer, in the second example it references the 1+4 benefit and downgrade rights, all for one server license. Perfect.
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Excellent,
              Exactly the answer I was hoping for....
              (now to dust off my old copies of NT4 server <g>)
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Excellent,
                Exactly the answer I was hoping for....
                (now to dust off my old copies of NT4 server <g>)
                WHY are they dusty? Are you NOT using them?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X