Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VirtualServer to Hyper-V VMS upgrade

So, this is the story:
    I started a virtualization project on two host servers, based on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise R2 SP2 64bit. The hardware platform is two HP DL360G5 servers, dual Quad-Core CPU, 8GB RAM, a lot of disks.
    I created few VMs, with Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2, that run on top of Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1.
    The project is still in pilot phase, so I want to try and upgrade the whole basis to Windows Server 2008 with Hyper-V. I can do the test on one of the hosts.
    The questions:
    - are there any mines ahead?
    - are there any issues I should take care of?
    - what is the process of importing Virtual Server 2005 VMs into Hyper-V?

Opinions, articles and personal experience are most welcome !!

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

Re: VirtualServer to Hyper-V VMS upgrade

A migration tool is right now in the works, check out the progress here. Will be released publicly soon.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

I'll make it quick:

2 NICs for the server is a must.

Uninstall VM Additions before moving to HV.

If the VMs are using a SCSI HD for the system partition, you need to reinstall the OS, most likely better just trashing it and re-create the VMs.

The VMC files are no good, you create a new VM in HV, and use the existing VHDs.

VMs will probably need 2 reboots.

Win2008/Vista will need to re-activate.

After the VMs boot, install the Integration Services.

If you connect to the host server via RDP, you cannot use your mouse in the VMs when you connect to them via the HV Console, until you install the Integration Services on the VMs.

Did I forget anything?
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Originally posted by danielp View Post
        Did I forget anything?
        Yeah... Where's the scaffold?
        Man... You sure know how to cheer up someone ... If this is the situation, it might be a good thing to do it now, and not wait for the project to go production ...
        I'll test the tool Lior mentioned. I hope it worth something, otherwise I'll pull my hairs (beard too)
        Last edited by sorinso; 22nd July 2008, 19:30.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -
        «««««

Comment

Working...
        X