DFS Keeps Generating Backlog

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DFS Keeps Generating Backlog

We have a 2016 file server with 2.6 million files that replicates via DFS to an off-site location.

For three months we've had no issues. Over the last week, I come in first thing and run a DFS diagnostic report to find 700K - 2.4 million files backlogged from the primary server to the backup server. This amount decreases throughout the day and I've seen it go a couple of days without any backlog, but I can't see what changes the state on so many files that it queues them again for DFS. Obviously, this slows down the DFS for all other files that change day to day and it takes many extra hours to replicate.

The topology reports are good. All servers can connect with the others. No other shares with DFS seem to be affected. The largest 35 files equal 95GB and my staging files are set to 130GB.

I have no events in the DFS logs save the odd 5014 error: "The DFS Replication service is stopping communication with partner (Primary server) for replication group (Namespace path) due to an error. The service will retry the connection periodically."

This is followed, literally a second later, with: "The DFS Replication service successfully established an inbound connection with partner (Primary Server) for replication group (Namespace path)."

So there is no extended down time. Even if there was, it does not account for 2+ million files suddenly needing to be replicated again. There's no bulk AV scans, no Windows search and we turned off Netwrix logging thinking that was doing something strange. The backlogs still appear.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Could a backup function be resetting file attributes, triggering the change?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
      Could a backup function be resetting file attributes, triggering the change?
      Yes, this was the cause. I found it a short time after posting and never got a chance to come back.

The Veeam application check box was ticked in the backup job. Unticking it fixed the issue.

Comment

Thanks for reporting back and explaining the fix.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
        X