No announcement yet.

Windows server 2012 Standard R2 upgrade to windows server 2016

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows server 2012 Standard R2 upgrade to windows server 2016

Hello Everyone,

Now in our organization we have a HP proletarian server running on windows server 2012 R2 that has served us well for quite some time. Among others this server has DHCP, WSUS, DNS and Active Directory services running as the main domain controller. Recently I got another physical server - HP ProLiant server Gen 9 DL 380 and installed on it windows server 2016.

I joined it to the existing domain and installed windows AD services roles.

Replication for users, computers and DNS entries has happened and so far all is well.

So far all the FSMO roles are still in the old windows server 2012. I intend to transfer/seize them in the new windows server 2016.

The issue though is that users have shared folders mapped in their computers from the server running 2012. It has an IP address of ie. . I would like the new server to be the main domain controller and still have the same IP address and name similar to the current server ( with 2012).

Now, which is the best way to go about this? Do I after transferring the roles to the windows server 2016 and copying tonnes of data, assign the old server a different IP address and thereafter assign the new server the right IP address that windows server 2012 had?

Is there any harm in renaming the name and IP address of a domain controller? Any precautions?

Ultimately I intend to have the windows server 2012 as just a secondary domain controller for backup purposes only