Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Desktop with Server 2012r2

I am a bit confused, so here goes.
    New Windows Server 2012R2 is active directory primary server.
    Have went into the remote desktop on the server and enabled it.
    I have listed the user (who happens to be in the domain admin group as well). I have added another user and went to Active Directory built in and added to Remote Desktop group.

Problem: I can only successfully remote desktop into the server if I log in as domain admin. Any other user and it says no.
    I don't know if I need to add the Remote Desktop role.

So, what is the right way to do this?

thanks.

Re: Remote Desktop with Server 2012r2

The Remote Desktop Users group doesn't have the user right to log onto a Domain Controller via Remote Desktop Services, only the Administrators group has this right on Domain Controllers. You have to grant the Remote Desktop Users group this user right specifically on Domain Controllers.

Comment

OK.
      How do I do that?

Comment

Group Policy.

Or ask your network admin to do it
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Can users in the domain admin group log in to the domain controller without doing the group policy?

Comment

Yes, you can set security permissions to deny application of the policy
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

By default and quite rightly, only domain admins can logon to domain controllers.
              This is because of the god awful mess someone can make, not realising what they are doing.

You'll probably find that RDS for non-administrative purposes might even be a breach of licensing conditions..

What are you trying to acheive?
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X