Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Format computer - win 2012 server - VBox

Hello!

I have basically no experience working with servers. So I have some questions for you. Thanks in advance.

What I would like to do is next: format a couple PC's and install Win XP 32-bit on them (later I will do same with 7) 'by network'.

So I installed Oracle VM VirtualBox 4.2.6 and then I set up Windows 2012 Server.

I can make Win XP image .ISO (if necessary) or I can use install CD.

The main goal of this project: I work (as part of 400-hour practice we have to do to finish college) at a big company that has hundreds of users and computers. And I would like to speed up process of formating (we have to format 3-5 computers/week). So I decided with my mentor I will do that by using server... You know the drill.

I would really love to have some guidance - I actually hope to find a guide with pics/video of the whole process - or at least a few basic steps so I can really start working on solution.

Looking forward to replies. Thank you!

Re: Format computer - win 2012 server - VBox

Since it is for a college course, one of the likely items you will be assessed on is your ability to research a problem and develop a solution, rather than just copying and pasting from the inter-web-thingy.

You should research Microsoft Deployment Toolkit and Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit, which between them will provide the tools you need. If you want to go further, you could look into System Center Configuration Manager and how it can be used for "Zero Touch Deployments"

With those hints, and a bit of research of your own, you should find all you need. If you have specific questions on the products, by all means post them here, but I hope no members will basically do all the work for you.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I am doing full research. What about PXE? I saw a few examples of ppl installing Win XP in VirtualBox and then use PXE. Can PXE be used with Win 2012 Server (in VBox)?

Comment

PXE is a network boot protocol, used to get a connection to a deployment server to download and install an OS, so yes you can use it - refer to the sources I suggested for much more information
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

How exactly are you proposing to speed up the formats? I obviously presume these re rebuilds that you mean?

Questions.
          1. Are the systems the same or different manufacturers?
          2. What is your budget for doing this work?
          3. Is there anything in place at this time that the business uses?

Comment

Working...
          X