Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• printing across lan to lan on different IP range

Hi all,

hopefully someone can make some sense of this and advice accordingly.

Our HQ runs 2012R2 domain using a range of 192.168.0.x.
    domainame\FPS is our file&print server and has all our printers installed.
    We also have a satellite office (G2) that has a lan to lan connection with HQ, so computer/users have to authenticate with AD across the internet. All data resides at HQ so again, redirected userdocs are accessed via the internet so to speak. This isn't really an issue for us. However they do operate on a different network of 10.121.1.x and the Draytek router handles DNS, DHCP and routes the lan to lan to the Draytek at HQ.

With me so far?

There are 2 printers in G2. They are installed onto the FPS (at HQ) with an IP address in the correct range for G2 (10.121.1.x) and GPO pushes the install to the computers in G2. Users can see the printers and print to the queues. BUT the jobs never come out the printer. They don't show up as failed, no errors are reported, they simply don't come out.
    If i install the printers locally on their computers all is fine and dandy, but that's a ball-ache. I really need them to be able to print from the GPO deployed printers that sit on the FPS.
    From HQ i can ping them, and look at the webportals of each printer at G2 to alter the configs.
    Can anyone think why they won't work? And maybe a way to resolve this?

Thanks for any advice offered.

Re: printing across lan to lan on different IP range

Do you get the same behaviour accessing shares on the G2 servers from HQ?

May not be the fix but I have found that sometimes adding a static route on the HQ machines to the G2 LAN fixes problems, even where the default routes should work
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi Ossian,

there are no servers at G2 only computers and printers connecting into the Draytek, they rely purely on the lan to lan link to HQ for all services and shares.

Can you expand on the bit about the static route please?
      I didn't set it up. Our 3rd party I.T. company did, and thus far theyv'e failed figure out why the printers won't work for the users in G2.

Thanks

Comment

OK, I was getting confused where the print server is

So users are mapping to

\\HQPrintServer\RemotePrintDevice without success but mapping to RemotePrinterIP works

I think forget what I said about static routes in that case

Can you directly print test pages from HQPrintServer? If so, routing works fine
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hmmm......i was logged into FPS at HQ and tried printing a test page earlier and the user at G2 said nothing came out.

Comment

Have to say I wonder about printing to a different location. It reminds me when a junior IT admin "discovered" printer pooling and decided to pool printers in 3 different cities... what could possibly go wrong

Try adding a static route on your FPS at the cmd prompt:

ROUTE ADD 10.121.1.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 <IP of gateway e.g. 192.168.0.254> -p

(double check these are correct - syntax is
            ROUTE ADD <remote network> <remote network subnet mask> <local gateway> -p (for persistent)
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Thanks. That last bits lost on me, but i'll see if our I.T. guys can do something with it

I'll let you know.

Thanks again.

Comment

The last time I seen this behavior it was a driver issue, could be a good idea to update or find a more compatible print server driver and test again.
                Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Thanks for the input, but i really can't see how this could be a driver issue.
                  The printer works fine from a local install using the same driver.
                  Does seems to be a routing issue across the different IP ranges, but god know why, how and where.

Comment

Working...
                  X