Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Sbs2011 co-exist with 2012 R2 as an exchange server?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Sbs2011 co-exist with 2012 R2 as an exchange server?

Hi,

Basically we have sbs2011 which handles everything for us (AD, file sharing, exchange, vpn etc).

It's been running a fair few years and is starting to struggle a bit. Needing a re-boot every week.

What I was thinking of doing, was buying another server, installing 2012R2, and migrating over the exchange stuff to this new server. This would basically relieve most of the stress from the sbs2011 machine.

But can they both co-exist in the domain? I hear something about a 30 day grace period?

My plan is to then change the sbs2011 machine to a second 2012R2 and have that do the AD, VPN, and filesharing. But don't know when I'll be able to get round to that.

Cheers in advance.

Re: Can Sbs2011 co-exist with 2012 R2 as an exchange server?

They can co-exist. It's perfectly fine to have multiple other Domain Controllers in an SBS domain, as long as there's only one SBS Server and it holds all theFSMO roles.

It won't care if you disable exchange either.

Look closely at all the SBS igration docs, because that's essentially what you'd be trying to do.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Re: Can Sbs2011 co-exist with 2012 R2 as an exchange server?

If you migrate Exchange off SBS, you will need to check the licensing. You will certainly need an Exchange Server license (even if you install 2010 which has issues with Server 2012) and may need client licenses too.

If you add Server 2012 as an additional DC / File Server and migrate SharePoint, you should not need any more licenses

(As always, only trust answers direct from Microsoft, in writing and choose the most favourable of the n+1 totally different answers from n people)
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
      X