Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Load Balancer messing with my DNS

Hi,

I have an issue regarding Network Load Balancing NLB on server 2012.

Basically I have my load balancer setup to use Multicast and what keeps happening on my Domain controllers (which are also my DNS servers) is that a second IP address is getting added with my domain contollers name, but with the NLB cluster IP addrees, which is stopping the cluster working altogether as the servers can't communicate with eachother.

So in my DNS Forward lookup zone for internaldomain.local I get the following
    DC1 192.168.0.1
    DC2 192.168.0.2
    DC1 192.168.0.14
    DC2 192.168.0.14

So I keep deleting the 192.168.0.14 entries and the cluster starts working again, but then they reappear, driving me mad.
    Anyone an NLB genius?

Re: Network Load Balancer messing with my DNS

What are you using NLB for? Are you using it on your domain controllers? If so, why?

Comment

Hi Joeqwerty,

I have two ADFS servers in a cluster, I followed Microsofts guidlines, it specified that if you have less than 1000 end users then you don't need to dedicate special ADFS servers you can just install the ADFS role onto your Domain Controllers.
      Then obviously I wanted them to be in a cluster so I installed NLB services on the DC's too.

Thanks for the quick response.

Mark

Comment

My recommendation would be that if you want to cluster your ADFS that you install it on two different servers and not on your Domain Controllers. The NLB VIP is bound to the NIC on the domain controllers and I don't see how you can prevent the VIP from being registered in DNS. Additionally, the VIP is probably bound to the DNS server, which will also cause the VIP to be registered in DNS.

Comment

I will agree 100% with your recommendation.

So If I create two new VM's (ADFS1 and ADFS2) and on them servers if I put the ADFS roles and the NLB Features on them instead and keep stuff off my DC's.

I had a feeling it may be too good to be true when I didn't have to go creating more virtual machines.

In the past I've always said to myself "never install anything on a domain controller", I should have stuck to that this time around too.

Thanks a lot for your quick responses.

Comment

Working...
          X