Installing Server 2012 R2 in a Server 2003 R2 environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Server 2012 R2 in a Server 2003 R2 environment

I have a domain which has 2 Domain Controllers of Windows Server 2003 R2.

We need to update the DC + AD from windows server 2003 to Windows Server 2012 R2.

I was thinking of installing a DC with Windows Server 2012 R2, making the Forest Functional Levels as: Windows Server 2003
    Then I will replicate the Active Directory and DNS from the old server to the new one.

After, I was thinking of either migrating from Server 2003 to Server 2012 R2 or else decommissioning the 2003 DC and re creating the server.

1) Do you think that this is possible? If yes, is there something that I have to keep in mind or take precautions about it?

2) What do you think is best, updating the old server or re-creating it?

Thanks,
    Joseph

Re: Installing Server 2012 R2 in a Server 2003 R2 environment

Sounds like a plan...
    You may want to review this TechNet blog: http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/...rver-2012.aspx

You will need to extend the AD schema (IIRC this can now be done as part of the DCPromo process with 2012, but IMHO do it first), then promote the 2012 server to a DC (it can be a member server without issues). Once you have decommissioned all the 2003 DCs you can raise the FLs if you want.

The only other thing is moving the FSMOs to the new DC.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

This is probably a document you should read

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/...rver-2012.aspx

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Another problem is that I have DHCP server installed on this server. What do you suggest it is best you do? All IPs on the subnet are taken and are all on the DHCP server which is on the DC. Does Windows 2003 R2 support split scope as I was thinking that for a alternative? Or what do you think should be done?

Thanks.

Comment

On which server?

If it were me i'd move my scope to a new server and move it back when i was done.

Comment

No my plan is that the DHCP server will be on the new Server. My question is how I am going to move the DHCP Server to the new one without any downtime possible?

Thanks.

Comment

Lots of step-by-step guides on
              https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mo...gDg&gws_rd=ssl
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Another thing...I need to do this without downtime, if possible.

The machines are having their settings by a reservation in the DHCP Server?

Will they still keep their settings during the migration when there will be no dhcp server available?

Thanks.

Comment

Yes, they should, so long as the lease does not expire. However, Windows 7 and upwards will check for the presence of the gateway as specified in the DHCP scope each time they are rebooted. If the gateway is down the system assumes it is on a different network and gives itself an APIPA address.

So long as your gateway can be reached you should be OK.
                  A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks mate!

Comment

Working...
                    X