No announcement yet.

Server 2012 R2 Sysvol Advise

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server 2012 R2 Sysvol Advise

Hello and thanks for reading my post.
    I would like someone's advise that is knowledgeable on domain controllers. I have a Windows 2012 R2 domain controller, only one. Yes I know that there should be at least two, working on that down the road...
    My issue is that when I built the domain controller, I placed the AD database and Sysvol on a different drive, D drive. Unfortunately, that hard drive malfunctioned a few weeks ago. The server crashed but I was able to bring it back up. I was also able to transfer the AD database to the C drive. The Sysvol share is still on that D drive. Now the drive seems to be dead and won't even show up as active. I managed to back up the sysvol folder a few weeks ago to another computer.
    What would be the best course of action to take to avoid rebuilding the whole DC if possible.
    1 - Copy the Sysvol share to the C drive manually?
    2 - remove/reinstall active directory and DNS by demoting the DC?

If I go with option 2, can I import the GPO's that I backed up? Can the exisiting domain name be used? Will I have to re-create the user and objects?

What are the minus and pluses of option 1?

Thanks very much for your help. This is my first time doing this, if you can please provide links or steps to follow, I would really appreciate it.

Re: Server 2012 R2 Sysvol Advise

You can give the manual moving a try:

Start at step 5. I would reapply the default security settings since you're not able to copy from the source.

Since you no longer have access to the source I'm not sure if this will work as desired. But at this point it doesn't hurt to try.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Re: Server 2012 R2 Sysvol Advise