No announcement yet.

backup problem inside Hyper-V

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• backup problem inside Hyper-V

Hi ,

We are using Windows Server 2012 and Hyper V is installed . There are multiple servers running inside it as a virtual machines.

When I am trying to take Bare metal recovery backup of any server inside hyper-v to my Synology NAS Drive , it always gives me error as there is insufficient space available..although there is enough space on NAS Drive...

I increase the shadow copy drive size to maximum , but still getting same error..

If I am taking only c: drive or d: drive backup it works but if i am taking a bare metal recovery backup it always gives error...

what could be the reason...
    Attached Files

Re: backup problem inside Hyper-V

How is the NAS formatted (maximum individual file size)?
    Are there any quotas enabled on the NAS?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: backup problem inside Hyper-V

The error message says there's not enough space to create the Volume Shadow Copy, so the problem is with the VM disk, not the NAS.

You didn't post the entire error message, but from the screen dumps it seems your VM disks have the typical, tiny system partition that is created by Windows Setup. That's the only partition I can think of that's tiny enough that Shadow Copy creation might be a problem. Are you by any chance including that partition in the backup?

Take a closer look at the error message. It should contain details regarding the exact drive/partition on which VSS is unable to create a Shadow Copy.