X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what version of 2012 should i use

Hi all

Looking for some advice

I am looking to implement server 2012 r2 on 2 server but not sure how to go about it

Scenario

Server 1 - Server 2012 R2 essentials for Domain controller / AD / dns and to allow users to have access from outside network via direct access and have some applications installed

Server 2 - Server 2012 R2 std for a file server.

i have been told server 2012 R2 std does not implement well with essentials

has anyone had any experience trying to set something like this up ?

i was going to go this route to save on cal costs.
    or
    should i use just server 2012 R2 Std and then buy cals for Terminal services?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Re: what version of 2012 should i use

What are the TS CALs for?

Comment

apparently if you use terminal services in server 2012 R2 standard you need cals to allow clients to access the server via terminal services,

thats why i wanted to go for essentials as it allows you to have a max of 25 users and there are no cals to worry about

Comment

Originally posted by warrior View Post
        apparently if you use terminal services in server 2012 R2 standard you need cals to allow clients to access the server via terminal services,

thats why i wanted to go for essentials as it allows you to have a max of 25 users and there are no cals to worry about
        That's true with every version of Windows since Terminal Services was introduced in Windows NT 4. Are you planning on installing the RDS role on this server and having users logging on via RDP to run applications, etc.? If the goal is to only log on via RDP in order to manage the server then no RDS CAL's are required, though you are limited to two administrative sessions.

Comment

Yeah that's what i was hinting at but there is no mention of running TS anywhere other than the 3rd last line

Comment

Yeh terminal services isnt used in essentials it is called direct access, its a bit like the web portal in sbs server.

basically needing to know if there are any issues using server 2012 essentials as DC and Remote access and then use 2012 std as a file server connected to the domain

Chris

Comment

Hi All

sorry didnt see joeqwerty comment about users running applications, the answer is yes users will be logging in remotely to use RDP or Direct access if essentials to run accounts style applications

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by warrior View Post
                Yeh terminal services isnt used in essentials it is called
                No its not. Direct Access is for creating a VPN tunnel back to the office

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/...or=-2147217396

This topic provides step-by-step instructions for configuring DirectAccess in Windows Server Essentials to enable your mobile workforce to seamlessly connect to your organization’s network from any Internet-equipped remote location without establishing a virtual private network (VPN) connection. DirectAccess can offer mobile workers the same connectivity experience inside and outside the office from their Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7 computers.

This topic applies to a server running Windows Server 2012 Essentials or Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, or to a server running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard or Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter with the Windows Server Essentials Experience role installed. In Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials, if the domain contains more than one Windows Server Essentials server, DirectAccess must be configured on the domain controller.

Have a read at this as it seems to describe what you are looking for.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...sktop-services

Comment

Working...
                X