Running Windows Server with Hyper-V on Toshiba Laptop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Windows Server with Hyper-V on Toshiba Laptop

I will soon be in charge of a Windows server that my company is purchasing to run SQL Server off of. In order to further prepare myself, I want to get some extra practice outside of work with it. However, I'm thinking that my computer's requirements may not be up to par - and I can't really afford to buy a new computer at the moment.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop running Windows 8.1 with an AMD A6-5200, 4 GB RAM and a 600 GB hard drive (HDD, not SSD). I have the book Training Guide: Administering Windows Server 2012 - and it suggests a computer with at least 8GB RAM. Also - the books examples and exercises use Hyper-V for virtualization.
    If my computer couldn't handle doing the exercises and examples - would Windows Server 2008 be a better idea? If so - could you point me in the right direction of guides/books/tutorials for Windows Server 2008 system administration?

Re: Running Windows Server with Hyper-V on Toshiba Laptop

8.1 Pro has HyperV and 4Gb will let you run a couple of VMs - keep at least 1Gb RAM for the laptop

Performance will be c**p but you can try things!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks alot Ossian

Our actual server will have 8GB - so we should be fine.

The Toshiba laptop is just used for practice - so if it runs like crap that is fine. It won't be used for anything in the "real world", just for learning - so as long as it works that's all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by ccoscina View Post
        Thanks alot Ossian

Our actual server will have 8GB - so we should be fine.

The Toshiba laptop is just used for practice - so if it runs like crap that is fine. It won't be used for anything in the "real world", just for learning - so as long as it works that's all that matters.
        8GB for a Windows Server and SQL? The price of RAM these days is cheap so why not just throw some extra RAM in there - I'd be putting 32GB minimum in there.
        Regards,

Lee

Comment

Well - my boss is sensitive with our budget - although if it needs the extra ram we can adjust it.

I think we should be okay though - the amount of operations that the SQL server will perform isn't too high - and the size of the entire database isn't any bigger than 1 or 2 GB. If we need to adjust the amount of memory on the server I'm sure we can do that - but my boss won't want to pay for it if he doesn't feel its necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by ccoscina View Post
            Well - my boss is sensitive with our budget - although if it needs the extra ram we can adjust it.

I think we should be okay though - the amount of operations that the SQL server will perform isn't too high - and the size of the entire database isn't any bigger than 1 or 2 GB. If we need to adjust the amount of memory on the server I'm sure we can do that - but my boss won't want to pay for it if he doesn't feel its necessary.
            Is you boss management or an IT expert??
            Regards,

Lee

Comment

Originally posted by LSainsbury View Post
              Is you boss management or an IT expert??
              Under the circumstances, I think the answer to that will be obvious
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Well - I have looked at his linked in profile - and he does have previous IT experience - although most of that also appears to be in management roles.

In the past, I would often tell my bosses what they should do. But that usually didn't work out for me well in the long run. So I have evolved to do what my bosses ask of me - whether or not I think it is a wise idea for them to do it that way. Sometimes I will suggest a potentially alternate route, but I never try to make them feel that their idea is a bad idea - if anything, I suggest that another idea might work "just a little bit better".

Comment

Originally posted by ccoscina
                  In the past, I would often tell my bosses what they should do
                  I think you should keep doing that but change the way it is done. Use an email and "suggest" why that may not be the best solution to the problem and include an alternative method(s). This way you have a hard (electronic) copy of your objection AND an alternative solution to the issue. This covers your arse (CYA) and can drop your boss in it for not exploring/considering the alterative suggestion(s) you have offered.

Do not lose your email so you will always have a backup to produce if necessary.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X