Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pxe boot

Hi ,

We have deploy the WDS Service on Windows 2012 and configure the windows 8 image inside it. Now we when we are trying to boot any machine inside the Hyper-V it boot successfully using WDS but when we are trying to boot our physical machine it stops and gives the error mentioned

https://www.google.co.in/?gfe_rd=cr&...roxy+dhcp+4011

I applied all of the settings mentioned in all the links in google but still getting error...

We have DHCP Server and WDS configured on same server...

Can any one suggest something to resolve this

Thanks..

Re: pxe boot

What error message?

Your link redirects me to Google and no further.

You have enabled the 2 options for PXE and DHCP on the same server??

Comment

Have you added the following to your DHCP scope?

Code:
      netsh
      dhcp server \\<servername>
      add optiondef 60 PXEClient STRING 0 comment=”Option added for PXE support”
      set optionvalue 60 STRING PXEClient
      show optionvalue all
      That's all I have needed as long as everything else is configured correctly.
      Last edited by biggles77; 3rd February 2015, 23:31.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Since PXE boot works for the VM, your DHCP and WDS servers are probably configured correctly.

Is the WDS role installed on the physical server acting as a Hyper-V hypervisor, or is it running on a virtual server?

You're sure the physical machine that fails to boot via PXE is connected to the same LAN segment? While attempting a network boot, can you see it getting an IP address in the same subnet as the VM that boots without issue?

Comment

Depends on how the system is setup Ser Olmy.

If the physical system is on a different subnet then it will require the IPHELPER setup to forward the relevant requests to the DHCP server, however this can be done on a scope level for DHCP.

Without the error message we will have no idea. It could be as simple as the boot image not having the correct drivers added for the physical system.

The proxy and 4011 i seen in the link points to this

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...m=winservergen

Comment

Originally posted by Wullie
            It could be as simple as the boot image not having the correct drivers added for the physical system
            I don't recall the error screen for that but I have had one where the previous plonker didn't have the NIC driver in the boot.wim but I think that may have resulted in a different error number. Will have to see if I can find the image I made of it to see if did.

Sometimes I have found it easier to blow away someone else's setup and redo it again in the sometimes forlorn hope that I may actually know what I am doing and get it right.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply ,

Yes , My WDS Server is a vm inside the Hyper-V and we are trying to load the image on one of the physical machine.

both the physical machine and that wds server are in a same domain and I really surprised that it works perfectly fine if i create one new vm and enable network boot...

Also , I have added the drive package inside the wds but even though it fails...

It initially get the ip address from the DHCP server but getting the error after that...

what could be the reason...is it the only reason that my server is a vm and i am trying in a physical system...

Thanks...

Comment

The error message indicates that the PXE client is unable to download the PXE boot image from the WDS server running the DHCP proxy service. Drivers are completely irrelevant, as the WinPE image hasn't even been loaded.

The question is, why isn't the PXE client on the physical machine getting a response from the WDS server, when the VM was able to boot without issue?

I asked about the IP address to determine whether the physical host is on the same network as the WDS server. If it's getting it's IP address from a different DHCP server, that server may provide the wrong proxy host name, or the client may not be able to resolve that name using the provided DNS server, or if it
                s in a different subnet from the WDS server, routing may not be configured correctly.

If I've understood you correctly, the WDS role is installed on the physical server that's also acting as a Hyper-V hypervisor for the VM that was able to successfully boot using PXE. Is that correct?

On which server is the DHCP role running? And is the physical PC on the same logical network as the WDS server?

Comment

Originally posted by kathy View Post
                  Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply ,

Yes , My WDS Server is a vm inside the Hyper-V and we are trying to load the image on one of the physical machine.

both the physical machine and that wds server are in a same domain and I really surprised that it works perfectly fine if i create one new vm and enable network boot...

Also , I have added the drive package inside the wds but even though it fails...

It initially get the ip address from the DHCP server but getting the error after that...

what could be the reason...is it the only reason that my server is a vm and i am trying in a physical system...

Thanks...
                  Can you get a screenshot of the actual error message you are receiving please.

What are your DHCP scope options? BTW best practice for this is to have an IPHELPER added in your switch config.

Is the physical system getting an IP address in the same network segment as the WDS/DHCP server?

Comment

Working...
                  X