MDT and multiple sites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDT and multiple sites

I am deploying 2012 R2 servers in different time zones with different keyboard layouts and language settings. At the moment these settings have to be typed in manually. I could modify the customSettings.ini but there is only one such file per deployment share. I can't see any option to have different rules per task sequence. Has anyone figured out how to go around it?

Re: MDT and multiple sites

It can be done and i have links on my work system that can do it.

Set you DefaultGateway option and then set any custom settings in that.

http://deploymentbunny.com/2012/04/2...ini-explained/

Comment

The thing is I usually find the IP of the gateway at the time of deployment when we install servers at some datacenter so not easily applicable as it'll be diferent almost every time. I found a blog on setting up custom settings per task sequence. Unfortunately it doesn't work for me. Possibly because I'm on MDT 2013. My custom .ini isn't called at Initialization> Gather Local Only where I set %DeployRoot%\Control\APACTaskSequence.ini with the DeployWiz_SelectTS.vbs modified.

Comment

Ahh now you never mentioned that lol.

I reckon the easiest way to do it would be to set a Run Command Prompt option in your Task Seq which programmatically sets the timezone for you.

This should help you

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944524

Comment

I'm not much of a scripting guru but the way I see it the script in the kb would fail not finding a time zone in the registry since it's never been set on a bare metal box.. Unless it can get the information from the BIOS that's assuming it's set correctly.

Comment

Your deployed system should have a time zone applied regardless.

What I'm talking about is replacing the timezone at a later point during the installation phase, State Restore, and changing it to the required time zone.

I'll do some testing on my system here with a test system and verify that it actually works the way i think it should.

Comment

Ok after a bit more digging i have found some powershell scripts that should work for you.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymen...owershell.aspx

Ignore the above posts as this will NOT work on Windows Vista or later systems.

To get a list of all the Time Zones open a command prompt and type tzutil /l > c:\timezones.log

#************************************************* *****************************
              # File: Set-TimeZone.ps1
              # Date: 06/06/2009
              # Version: 1.0.1
              #
              # Purpose: PowerShell script set the current time zone.
              #
              # Usage: Set-TimeZone.ps1 -name "Time Zone Name" [-dstoff]
              # Set-TimeZone.ps1 -help
              #
              # Requires: TimeZoneLib.ps1, TimeZoneCSharp.ps1, CompileCSharpLib.ps1
              # in the same folder.
              #
              # Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation
              #
              #
              # Revisions:
              # ----------
              # 1.0.0 06/03/2009 Created script.
              # 1.0.1 06/06/2009 Removed (Switch not currently implemented.) from -dstoff.
              #
              #************************************************* *****************************

Comment

Ok had a chance to play around with this.

Easiest option that i have found to do this is to do the following:

1. Open the relevant task sequence.
                2. Click on Task Sequence.
                3. In the State Restore section, i chose to do this after my Install Applications Option, Click on Add then Select General then Run Command Prompt.
                4. Change the name to something suitable, i chose TZUtil.
                5. In the Command line text box type tzutil /s "TIME_ZONE_NAME"
                6. Click on Apply then OK.
                7. Deploy Image.

The Time Zone Name must refer to the relevant time zone that your require, this can be retrieved from tzutil /l.

I have deployed successfully an image that would have had AEST but i changed it to Fiji time using the above method.

Comment

Appreciate your help. Will test this tomorrow and get back

Comment

Works like a charm. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                    X