No announcement yet.

Server Hyperlink Issues

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Hyperlink Issues

I have just replaced a 2003 SBS server, with a new 2012 Essentials server at oneofour customer sites. Everything is working properly except I am having an issue with some hyperlinks on one of the client machines.
    They are in a custom excel worksheet that finds and opens files using hyperlinks to the locations on the server.
    The original server was called INVDC1 and has been replaced with a new one named Server-1.
    When the user looks at the sheet, half of the hyperlinks have pointed to the file:\\Server-1 address, but quite a few of them still have the old file:\\INVDC1 address in the hyperlinks, and cannot find the requested file to open.

Is there any way of pointing/forwarding the old server INVDC1 to the new Server-1 address?

any help would be appreciated.

Re: Server Hyperlink Issues

You could create a DNS alias record - that should do it

I don't know if essentials uses WINS (NetBIOS names) so further tweaking might be needed

Alternatively a find and replace within the excel formulas would probably be as easy:
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Once I have added the cname record, can I test it by trying to connect to the server from a file manager window using \\UKINVDC1 instead of \\Server-1 ?

Wouldn't a better solution be to fix the links in the document? Do a search and replace to replace the old server name with the new one. This should take all of 5 minutes.

I was hoping that I could just add some CNAME records that would redirect anything from the hyperlink file:///\\unkinvdc to file:///\\Server-1
          as there could be other documents on the server that used hyperlinks?

anyone got any ideas?

Why not just create a static A record that has the same IP address as the new server?

Fixing the links can then be done when found.