No announcement yet.

Network Tools?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network Tools?

Appart deom DCDIAG,NSLOOKUP,REPADMIN, what other tools are there to help diagnose issues with AD/DNS/DOMAINS etc?

Are they any good third party tools? Maybe something with a GUI?

There used to be things like REPLMON etc, but most of those ols Support Tools no longer work on
    modern Server O/S's.

Re: Network Tools?

AD Diagnostic Tools
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

Thanks, but I am looking for some recommendations on the tools other members use?

I generally use what's available in the OS. Sometimes, a web search will uncover a dedicated troubleshooting tool for a specific problem and I'll use that.

What are you after specifically? I guess what you want will depend on the size of your network and how many domain controllers you have. Are you looking for tools that will provide continuous monitoring of a 'fleet' or are you after stand-alone applications that can diagnose a single or small number of servers?
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Other than the event logs, ping, repadmin, dcdiag and netdiag I really can't think of anything I've used regularly for AD issues.

Took a while to get used to but IMO repadmin is a far better tool than replmon. Replmon was never actually a supported tool, it was written by an MS employee for internal use and got released as part of the support tools.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          Cruachan's Blog