No announcement yet.

Server2012 R2 Hyper V Replication as DR

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server2012 R2 Hyper V Replication as DR

Hi guys.

I've recently setup a 2 node HYPER V Replica DR test scenario, it seems to work ok on 100mbps lan.

I'm concerned at putting this into customer sites as a solution as I've got no real word testing/usage of this hyperv version feature.

I'm interested to find out if HYPERV Replication starts to fall behind with the replication(depending how busy your systems are).

I have used Double Take software over a WAN previously, with reasonable success, but did notice the replication queue did grow over the day, the catch up in the evening.

Please let me know your experiences with this technology, as on paper and LAN testing seem to work very well.

Has anyone out the got this in production? how is it going?

Kind Regards

Re: Server2012 R2 Hyper V Replication as DR

I've been working with the 2012 (not R2) Replicas. We have about 40 - 50 VMs replicating over a 50Mbps pipe. We were tying to replicate some intensive SQL applications but they always fell behind. We actually have MS engaged now to look at it. It will probably be another month or so before I know how we will be proceeding but I'll post back when I have more info.

It could be that the advances in R2 would be enough to keep up.

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond

Hi JeremyW.

Thanks for sharing your experience. You've got a lot more VM's replicating on one system that I'll ever have.

Are any of your replicated systems domain controllers, Exchange or SQL servers?

I'll only be replicating 2 or 3 machines per system.

I would be very grateful if you let me know the outcome of the input from MS.

We have started to use it within our 2012 R2 environment but based on our testing, we find it is still some way to go and falls behind with replication in comparison to our SAN replication. However, we have been using it for migrating VMs recently between our Datacenters.

We have a considerable number of VMs, in the 1000s as are a Cloud Host provider of a range of services.