Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Restore inside Hyper-V

Hi ,

We are using Windows Server , Hyper-V Role is installed.

I want to make one additional machine as a stand by backup server for DC

Here are the steps I performed.

1. Take a system state back up on original dc
    2. Create a new VM inside the Hyper-V , Installed Windows 2012 , Join it to a dc
    3. Copy the backup folder called , Windows Image Backup inside this new vm
    4. Restart the DC in DSRM Mode
    5. Restore the Backup of system state.

After the backup restore complete , I restart it and check , ADUC options are coming or not but its not there...

What may be the reason ..where I made the mistake...

What are the additional steps I need to configure...

please help...

Thanks...

Re: AD Restore inside Hyper-V

So your network has two DCs with the same name and same SID - no wonder it doesn't work!

Create an additional DC and let it replicate with the main one, or do a bare metal restore (not to an existing domain joined OS)

:facepalm:
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply...

So , Basically I need to create a fresh vm , install a OS , do not join it to a existing DC , Take Bare metal backup and restore the back up in a fresh ..

is it correct...

thanks..

Comment

You cannot have a "stand-by" domain controller. Active Directory achieves redundancy and fault tolerance by having multiple domain controllers.

Your options are:
        1. Add an additional VM to your environment and make it an additional domain controller in the environment
        2. Make sure you have a good backup image of your DC. In the event of a disaster, boot to the Windows media and perform a bare metal restore.

You cannot have a restored imaged of your domain controller sitting in a VM waiting to be used. It will cause all sorts of problems for your AD.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply ...

Actually , I just want to double confirm that Bare Metal Recovery will work in a virtual environment. I just want to do a Bare Metal Recovery restore once in a month and keep that vm in power off situation , So if in case my dc stop , I can start that vm...

Also , Which software , do you suggest for a virtual environment such as Hyper-V , which a cost effective and reliable.

Can we go with Veeam Backup..

please suggest some other too...

Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by kathy View Post
            Actually , I just want to double confirm that Bare Metal Recovery will work in a virtual environment.
            A BMR will work in a virtual environment.

I just want to do a Bare Metal Recovery restore once in a month
            Good. You can perform the BMR once a month to a VM that is not connected to the production network. This will verify you have a good backup. After you verify the backup, delete the VM.

... and keep that vm in power off situation , So if in case my dc stop , I can start that vm...
            No, don't do that. You will run into problems. The main issue is that the clients will be using newer information then what is contained on the DC.

Also , Which software , do you suggest for a virtual environment such as Hyper-V , which a cost effective and reliable.
            I like Storagecraft's ShadowProtect. Datto Backup is great (we have a lot of clients using it). It's a service that provides a local device for your backups and syncs the images to their data centers.

I've heard good things about Veeam. Haven't used it.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Actually , I just want to double confirm that Bare Metal Recovery will work in a virtual environment. I just want to do a Bare Metal Recovery restore once in a month and keep that vm in power off situation , So if in case my dc stop , I can start that vm...
              this is a really, really really, really, terrible, really terrible, bad idea.
              dont do this
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi ,

Fine..I will drop this idea...

Thanks for the update...

Comment

What is wrong with having a VM second DC. I NEVER have a single DC on any network I administer. The DC VM takes up minimal space and saves you having to recreate all the User and Computer accounts let alone the GPOs etc that are running.

I have a pre-made 2012 R2 VM sitting on a USB HDD that takes 7 to 10 minutes to copy to the HDD and then DCPROMO time. It all takes less than 1 hour. How long does it take to rebuild a whole network if you lose you single DC and the backups either fail or were not there in the first place? On an 420 user network, THREE days, however if I had been smart, less than 6 hours. [Hint, WDS.]
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X