Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDI deployement using SCCM 2012

Hi ,

We are using a Windows Server 2012 , and Hyper-V role is installed on it..

I am in planning to deploye SCCM 2012.

Is it possible to deploy multiple VDI using SCCM 2012 or SCCM will only be helpful to us , if we need to apply software updates , security updates using WSUS Server.

Thanks,

Re: VDI deployement using SCCM 2012

Yes, you can deploy VMs in the same way as physical ones. You may want to look into SCVMM as a better solution (combined with the remainder of the system centre products)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply..

Basically , My intense is to provide the virtual desktop environment for my users..just same as Citrix Xen Desktop 7.0 provides...

Also , If I am making a changes in a master VM - such as installing a new program and if I want to apply it in all other vm automatically , is it possible using SCCM...

If you can suggest some step by step guide regarding SCCM and SCVMM , for deployment and configuration , will be really appreciable..

Thank you...

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply...

I am installing required software on one of the physical machine and making a master image...So , if I am making a image for this machine and want to deploy same image in other 10 physical machine using a sccm , is it possible ?

I think , deploying a image to virtual image is only possible, not inside the physical machine...

Am i understanding it correctly..

Thanks...

Comment

SCCM will allow you to deploy both physical and virtual machines, although with physical, the hardware should be as similar (preferably identical) as possible.

However your SCCM training should have told you about this - if you don't have any training in it, I suggest you pass the job on to someone who does
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

VDI wise, it's down to your budget and requirements what you go for. You could consider MS VDI - http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/serve...re/deploy.aspx

or Citrix or Dell vWorkspace and there are others as well.

As pointed out, SCCM can be used to rollout an image to Virtual and Physical machines.

In our case, we have used SCCM to capture a custom image we created within a Virtual machine and then created various task sequences for the builds we roll the image out to be it physical laptops, PCs and/or virtual machines.

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply..

Basically , I want to make a image of one Windows 8.1 Physical pc and want to deploy the same in 10 different physical machine.

Can you please provide me a step by step instruction on this...it will really a great help ..

Thanks...

Comment

Originally posted by kathy View Post
                Basically , I want to make a image of one Windows 8.1 Physical pc and want to deploy the same in 10 different physical machine.
                You can use Windows Deployment Services for this, or you can use SCCM (whick basically uses the WDS engine anyway). WDS has been part of Windows Server since version 2008.
                Originally posted by kathy View Post
                Can you please provide me a step by step instruction on this...it will really a great help ..
                1. Make sure you have enough free disk space on the server to store the image(s) you want to create.
                2. Install the WDS Role.
                3. Complete the configuration wizard (specify the correct drive for the "RemoteInstall" directory where the images will be stored).
                4. Import a Boot Image from a Windows 8.1 DVD ("boot.wim" in the /Sources folder).
                5. Have WDS create and save a "Capture Image" from the Boot Image you just imported (just right-click the Boot Image), and then import that into WDS as a Boot Image as well.
                6. Make sure the hard drive on the master PC has enough free space to store a complete image of itself. If it doesn't, you can temporarily attach an external USB drive.
                7. Make sure the WDS PXE network boot service works (just try and boot some random PC from the network and verify that the WDS boot menu appears), then run sysprep on the master PC and boot from the network (important: you must NOT boot into the Operating System after you've run sysprep). Select the Capture Image from the menu.
                8. In the Capture Wizard, enter a path and a file name for the image (it must be a local path), and specify the name of the WDS server and supply the necessary logon credentials. Select the relevant Image Group.
                9. Watch as the image is created and then copied to the WDS server.

Once the image is uploaded, you can boot the other PCs from the network (select the Boot Image this time, not the Capture Image). You will be asked to supply credentials, and you will then be able to select the image from a menu.

Comment

Originally posted by Kathy
                  Can you please provide me a step by step instruction
                  FFS Kathy, why do so many of your posts require "step by step instructions". You supposedly are administering the network, why do you not learn the step by step instructions yourself instead of continually demanding to be provided with help to do YOUR job.

Unless you take a course on SCCM I would STRONGLY suggest to not use it. You have enough trouble with the relatively straight forward Hyper-V and Active Directory. 376 posts and 99% of them asking for help. That in itself is not a problem; this site was created for providing such help but continually asking for step by step instructions is a problem IMO.

All our wonderful dedicated Members who provide assistance to others do so for free and in their free time. They have gained experience that money just cannot buy. They generously pass on their hard earned experience so others can receive high quality help, learn new skills and then in turn they begin to help our newer Members who post requests for assistance. This is how our Community works. It would not work if the majority of the Members just leeched the almost bottomless pit of experience our very fortunate Community has.

I am not casting aspersions on anyone but in 7 years some have had massive help with minimal information provided, despite pleas for it, and still this Community has responded with positive suggestions and solutions. Our Members continually amaze me with the depth of their knowledge and the generosity in how they freely share it with others. Some however do not bother using our Community Resource to better themselves and then return that gained knowledge back into our Community. No, they just take and take and take and then continually ask to be spoon feed the answers. It makes one want to weep in despair.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                  X