Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two sets of unallocated space on HD will not combine.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two sets of unallocated space on HD will not combine.

Here is a real noodle scratcher.

New physical server with 18TB of space in a single RAID 6 array. It came without an OS and blank drives so I used the W2012 Storage Server R2 install media and formatted 200 GB of space for the OS install leaving the rest of the space unallocated for the storage space.

After a successful OS install, I logged onto Windows and went into Disk Manager to format the rest of the unallocated space into one large partition for use. There I saw the two unallocated spaces side-by-side. Did the following:

Formatted the smaller partition and tried to expand it. No joy. Option to expand is grayed out

Downloaded AOMEI Partition Assistant and it shows a single 18TB unallocated block, but when I use that program to create a partition it only lets me do one 1.81TB in size and I cannot expand it after. It does not see the second 16TB block at all it seems.

If I right-click on the second 16TB block through Windows Disk Manager all options are grayed out.

Before anyone says to format and reinstall, I already did, after wiping out all partitions, Windows saw one continuous block of unallocated space for 18TB. Same thing happened after installing W2012.

Screenshot attached below showing the issue through a few programs.
    Attached Files

Re: Two sets of unallocated space on HD will not combine.

Have you tried using the RAID configuration utility that you can access during POST to make sure the space is ready to use and that the disks are OK?
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Found the issue.

Of the twelve drives in the RAID 6 array one had a "FOREIGN" configuration. I deleted the VD and bad config on the drive then re-initialized the dozen drives. Voila, 18.7TB of usable space in Disk Management.

Restored the OS partitions using Acronis software and we are good to go.

Thanks Blood.

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for posting back
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Working...
        X