Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Continuous Replication

Hi ,

We are using Hyper-V Server and one vm inside it act as a DC. Now I want to implement a new vm , which need to be a Continuous Replication for the DC...

Can anyone help me to steps to implement this...Also , Can we specify the time interval for this replication...

Thanks...

Re: AD Continuous Replication

Create new VM
    Install ADDS
    Promote to DC
    Replication will be automatically configured (you do know this, don't you - it has been part of AD since Windows 2000 - if not, please get some training )

You can control inter-site replication through ADSS but within a site it is automatic (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/l...(v=ws.10).aspx)
    [edit wrong link]
    Last edited by Ossian; 8th January 2015, 12:27.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply...

Can we use the Replication feature in Hyper-V ... I mean , if there are 2 vm in a single Hyper - V Server , can we use second vm as replication of first vm...

Will this work good for a Domain Controller VM..

Also , What is the command for initiate the AD Replication manually , after installing a ADDS on second VM.. Can we schedule a replication between a two DC...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kathy View Post
        Hi ,

Can we use the Replication feature in Hyper-V ... I mean , if there are 2 vm in a single Hyper - V Server , can we use second vm as replication of first vm...

Will this work good for a Domain Controller VM..

Also , What is the command for initiate the AD Replication manually , after installing a ADDS on second VM.. Can we schedule a replication between a two DC...

Thanks
        :facepalm: I really don't know where to start....
        HyperV replication is NOT repeat NOT the same as AD replication. AD replication provides high availability by having multiple synchronised DCs, whereas HyperV replication provides failover by having a copy of a VM that can be activated if the active node fails. There will be major risks if both copies come up together (see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../dn250021.aspx)

Also, HyperV replicas are between two separate host servers, not on one server.

To manually force an AD replication, use the repadmin command (and PLEASE refer to if you do not know how to use it). As I said in my previous post, if the DCs are in the same site, you do not need to schedule replication - just set up the DCs and let AD do the job properly - it will do it a heck of a lot better than you can.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

I have implement the ADDS Replication in my internal LAN.

Now , when I am creating a user on DC1 its automatically replicated on DC2 but when I am creating a user on DC2 , which is created after DC1 , its not updating on DC1.

What could be the reason ... I check the event log but there are no logs available in it...When I run the replication manually from sites and services ..it replicates..

please help...

thanks...

Comment

The reason is that replication is borked (or the DC was not created properly.

The easiest solution, particularly in a virtual environment, is to unpromo DC2 then format and reinstall, then build a new one. If the unpromo fails (as it may well do) then remove from the domain, format and reinstall and do a metadata cleanup.

If you have a DC that is at all dodgy, but you have another good one, the quickest and easiest solution is to nuke it.
            Tom Jones
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Learning Hyper-V - Look for the David Davis tutorials for Hyper-V 2012. They are excellent.

Active Directory

There is a TEN day FREE trial with the site I have linked. Buy lots of Red Bull and hammer it for as long as you can during those 10 days.

As the Nike advert says, Just do it.
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X