Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hyper-V Backup issue

Hi,

We are using Hyper -V server and created a multiple vm inside it. Now from one of the vm , we are trying to take the backup using a Windows Server Backup feature on one of the vm .

Now , We are are taking a backup on NAS Device from this vm. Our NAS is having a capacity of 4 tb and 1.5 tb free space available on it . Now , when I am trying to take a backup of vm , which is of 200 gb only , I am getting a error , backup filed , insufficient space available.

I even try to take the single folder backup which is of 1 gb , even though I am getting a same error. What could be the reason behind this..

Every time , I am getting a insufficient space error and backup failed.

Is , Windows Server Backup feature will not work for a VM inside a Hyper-V. Can you suggest any other Microsoft Backup tool...

Thanks,
    Last edited by kathy; 6th January 2015, 10:06. Reason: missing words

Re: Hyper-V Backup issue

a) Ask your network administrator for advice as I suspect this is likely to be a PEBCAK issue
    b) What happens if you back up a non-virtual machine to the NAS (i.e. is it an issue with VMs only or with all machines)
    c) Are there any restrictions / quotas on the NAS device that might prevent you using the full capacity?
    d) Give us a clue what operating systems you are running on the host and guest VMs, as well as the make and model of the NAS device

I have not found any differences between backing up physical or virtual machines so it is very unlikely to be a HyperV issue, but to test it, you could try backing up the VM to a share on another PC with sufficient space
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply...

I understand the other points but want to know that...what is PEBack ?

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by kathy View Post
        Hi ,

I understand the other points but want to know that...what is PEBack ?

Thanks,
        It's PEBKAC or PEBCAK and not PEBack. Google might have the answer.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi ,

I tried to take the backup from one of the physical server to a NAS Device and it works fine for system state backup of 7 gb...but when I am trying to take the backup of any Hyper-V VM , it fails sometime at preparing a backup files and sometime it fails while coping backup files...

Can anyone suggest , Which one will be a best backup tool for VM inside the Hyper-V ...Also , will Snapshot backup will be a sufficient for this Hyper-V VM...How can we take a snapshot backup for those VM..

Thank you...

Comment

Could you perhaps answer some of the questions I raised in post #2 - it is very difficult to help you if you do not provide information to us.

You could look into BackupAssist or BackupExec (both commercial) or the free VEEAM backup for hyperv hosts - IIRC it lets you backup 2 VMs free

Now, as loudly as I can say it. SNAPSHOTS ARE NOT A BACKUP SOLUTION
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply..

I checked up with the Synology NAS team , its a known issue with that and hyper-v.

Now , What could be the best solution for disaster recovery for the vm inside the Hyper-V Server. Veeam Backup will be the best , or is their any free backup service provider available...If , I export those vm from Hyper-V manager and stored it at safe location , will this be a more helpful , if my Hyper-V Server , physical server crash..

Thanks,

Comment

There are a few questions you need to answer before a solution can be recommended, for example:
                What volume of data is to be backed up?
                How frequently?
                What sort of data (e.g. Exchange and SQL Server have specific requirements for log-aware backups)
                What are your RTO and RPO requirements?
                What legal requirements govern data storage?
                What is your budget?

Answer all these (and other questions that will, I am sure, be asked) and we may be able to point you towards possible solutions, then YOU will have to do some research and decide which one is best for your needs

Regarding the Synology NAS, is there a firmware update to resolve the problem?
                Last edited by Ossian; 10th January 2015, 11:19.
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Hi ,

Thanks for your quick reply..

Basically , We are using Dell - R470 Server with 2 TB internal HDD. We have installed W2k12 with Hyper-V Role. There are 10 servers created as hyper-v vm.This includes Exchange Server 2013, SQL Server 2012 , Web Server , File Server etc...

So , Basically , I want the disaster recovery solution for all those vm servers..So, to just a simple solution , for a safety purpose , can i export it and put it inside NAS Drive as a backup and if any vm server crash , I can use it later on...

Also , What is RTA and RPA..Not sure about the leagal requirement but later on we plan to take ISO 27001 certification..Budget is not having a larger limit...

Thanks...

Comment

Sorry, should have said RPO and RTO

will help you find out about them.

Once you have done so, go away and consider the questions properly as you haven't really answered any of them.

If this is a production environment, if I were one of your users, I would be scared!
                    Last edited by biggles77; 15th January 2015, 14:34. Reason: Insert colon at end of google
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Working...
                    X