Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow transfer over SSTP VPN

Hi All,

I have set up a SSTP VPN using Server 2012 R2 RRAS.
    It's running as a VM on a Hyper-v server also running 2012 R2.
    It's setup with NPS on the VM too, and authenticates using PEAP.
    The VM has only 1 NIC (it's a test setup) and this is connected to a 10gb physical NIC only used for this machine.

So far so good. I can connect to it successfully, the forwarding is working and I can access network resources etc

BUT..the transfer rate is very slow, for example if I map a network drive once on the VPN I can browse the folders ok, but if I try and transfer files (either way) it's going at less than 100kb/s

I can transfer files quickly between the VM and network shares directly, but not over the VPN.

I don't think it's the external connection is an issue as I have another VPN that is fine speed wise. Also I have connected "internally" and forced all traffic through the VPN server and was slow that way too.

Any thoughts, I'm a bit stumped!!???

Re: Slow transfer over SSTP VPN

What are the VM settings? How much RAM, CPU did you give the VM? Are the Integration components installed on the VM? What kind of disk resources are allocated? How does the VM perform?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi thanks for the reply,

The VM currently has 1 CPU and 4gb RAM, it seems to perform fine as it is. Looking at the task manager currently when running a copy over the VPN, the CPU is at 1% and the memory 15% so I think the specs should be ok.

The integration services are all installed.

The host has plenty of spare CPU, memory, and is running on 10K SAS drives, raid 10, with the VMs on separate raid volumes to the host OS.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that the network utilisation of the client VPN is significantly lower than the wireless overall available connection
      (e.g. the "Wireless Network Connection" shows 130 Mbps and the VPN shows 26 Mbps. Using a different PPTP VPN they both show around 130 Mbps. So it's as if it's not able to utilize the available bandwidth...

Comment

Hmm...
        Do you have a firewall that is application aware? Is it doing deep packet inspection on the SSTP traffic? (aka SSL traffic)
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I don't think it's the firewall, though I am now in the process of setting up another server with a direct connection to eliminate that and other possible causes.

In terms of what I should expect performance wise, if everything was 1gb links, e.g. I connected a laptop to the router, in turn connected to the VPN sever, connected to the network switches and file server - all at 1gb links with no other traffic - how much of that bandwidth am I realistically going to get over VPN?

I've read in various places that file shares are not great over VPN, but "not great" would be much better than terrible!!

Comment

Do you have any antivirus or malware etc apps that scan this traffic?
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
            X