Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Cluster Broken / Service Won't Start.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Cluster Broken / Service Won't Start.

Here is the error I am getting:

Windows could not start the Cluster Service on Local computer. For more information, review the System Event Log. If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specific error code 2.

The node that's getting this error is stuck in a draining mode, I can't evict it or do anything because the cluster service won't start.

The errors from the event log are:
    • The Cluster Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 4 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service.
    • The Cluster Service service terminated with the following service-specific error:
    • The system cannot find the file specified.
    • The Cluster Service service entered the stopped state.
    • The Cluster service cannot be started. An attempt to read configuration data from the Windows registry failed with error '2'. Please use the Failover Cluster Management snap-in to ensure that this machine is a member of a cluster. If you intend to add this machine to an existing cluster use the Add Node Wizard. Alternatively, if this machine has been configured as a member of a cluster, it will be necessary to restore the missing configuration data that is necessary for the Cluster Service to identify that it is a member of a cluster. Perform a System State Restore of this machine in order to restore the configuration data.

Thanks!

Re: Microsoft Cluster Broken / Service Won't Start.

Have you seen this post:
    http://theucguy.net/error-the-cluste...-with-error-2/
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

1. Make sure that the cluster files are excluded in the AV scanning. If not, exclude the folder (C:\Winnt\Cluster). I tried stopping the AV service to “unlock” the cluster files.
      They are excluded.
      1. Try a force cleanup of the cluster from the failed server. Run Cluster Node “ServerName” /forcecleanup from an elevated command prompt.
      I tried this, nothing changed.
      1. Once the cleanup is successful, open Failover Cluster Manager and add the failed server manually back into the cluster. You can also try running Start-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup “DAG Name” –MailboxServer “FailedServer”.
      This is not a mailbox server? I am not sure what my Dag Name would be?

Comment

Apparently it means Database Availability Group

I got this info by using a search engine and creating a query using the terms you used. I have never even been near a Windows Cluster setup so can't really help you.
        A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

I tried these steps to remove the node but it still shows in the cluster manager.

Step1:- Run PowerShell as an administrator
          Step 2:- Import-Module FailoverClusters
          Step3:- clear-clusternode

Comment

Can you tell us more about the cluster and the roles installed on it?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

It's a 2 node cluster, I have stopped the only role that's running on it.

The problematic node is stuck in a draining status. The other node is Up and running fine.

Can't start the service on node2.

Comment

Here is the error I get after running cluster clean up.

During node cleanup, the local user account that is managed by the cluster was not deleted. The error code was '2221'. Open Local Users and Groups (lusrmgr.msc) to delete the account.

Comment

Working...
                X