Joining Domain Problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining Domain Problem

hi.. no experience with 2012R2 but am running 2008R2 with a couple dozen client machines where I work. Just installed 2012 onto a VM at home that is created with VMware Workstation. The server VM has DNS and AD roles installed but does not have the DHCP role installed as I chose to leave DHCP to the ASA so not sure if this is a problem out of the box.
    The machine I'm using has Windows 7 Ultimate as the base OS, Windows 10 in a VM and now the eval of 2012R2 in another VM. I have a domain name set with No-IP.com and all is behind a CIsco ASA5505. I have the DNS forwarders set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and the server VM is the global catalog. I can ping the server VM with its Netbios name and IP address but not with its FQDN and as a result, I believe is why I'm unable to join the Windows 10 VM as a domain member. I have checked my A record settings and they are pointing to the correct location. Need a little push in the right direction to solve this.

Re: Joining Domain Problem

Active Directory depends on dynamic DNS. Clients look for AD-specific DNS SRV records in order to locate a domain controller offering Kerberod, LDAP and Global Catalog services.

You need to use the DNS service on the DC. Neither the ASA nor an external DNS server will be able to answer queries regarding your Active Directory domain (or accept dynamic DNS registrations).

Comment

hi, thanks for the reply. i hadn't tried yet to access the VM from the internet yet. i do have DNS installed on the server VM, i can see that SRV records are installed and pointing to the IP address assigned to the VM and the preferred DNS server set in the IPV4 settings of the network adapter are pointing to the servers IP address. I have the VM network connection set as Bridged mode, which with my experimenting before installation was the only way I could get network access to the internet.

Comment

DHCP on the ASA is fine but you need to configure the server VM as the DNS server in the ASA's DHCP options.

The clients need to be querying the server's DNS to be able to find the domain.

You can test by configuring your Windows 7 machine's primary DNS server with the IP address of the server. Leave the secondary blank. See if you can now join the domain.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Problem solved... DNS was the issue but it wasn't anything with the server settings.. The client IPV4 network adapter settings in windows 10 doesn't have the ability to select the radio button for "obtain DNS server address automatically" as it is grayed out.. I input the servers DNS IP address and all took off...

Comment

It should only be greyed out if you have a static IP configured. That applies to all versions of Windows, not just 10.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X