Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DHCP role disappearing.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • DHCP role disappearing.

    Hey guys,

    I've had some trouble installing DHCP at a customer's 2012R2 Essentials server. Every time the installation would fail claiming the server needed a restart. After a restart it still needed a restart and so on.

    After a while I noticed DHCP was installed, the management tools and the service itself and worked after I configured it.

    This ran fine for a month or two when suddenly, one morning, the management tools and the DHCP server service were gone.

    I have tried to install it again and rebooted a few times, no dice. However this morning the management tools and the DHCP server service are back again. (settings gone however).

    Now I'm a bit affraid this will happen again. Could it be that DHCP is already marked for removal? Since the installer never properly finished? Maybe a DISM cleanup that removes it?

    If so, can I see what is marked for removal?

  • #2
    Re: DHCP role disappearing.

    Does anyone have an idea? If not we'll just use <random ISP's router> as DHCP server.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: DHCP role disappearing.

      That doesn't sound like normal behavior. I would comb through the event logs and check things thoroughly. If it really did what you say it did, I wouldn't trust the server at all. I'd reformat or get new hardware. Sounds drastic but the symptoms are terrible and if you can't explain what happened then you got to get an environment you can trust.

      Is this a VM? Any other admins messing with snapshots or installing/uninstalling things without your knowledge?
      Regards,
      Jeremy

      Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: DHCP role disappearing.

        Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
        That doesn't sound like normal behavior. I would comb through the event logs and check things thoroughly. If it really did what you say it did, I wouldn't trust the server at all. I'd reformat or get new hardware. Sounds drastic but the symptoms are terrible and if you can't explain what happened then you got to get an environment you can trust.

        Is this a VM? Any other admins messing with snapshots or installing/uninstalling things without your knowledge?
        Hey Jeremy,

        Sorry for the late response. I have been going through some small config corrections in DNS on the machine and tried again. Still the same result.

        It is a physical machine. Formatting or getting new hardware is a bit drastic for now. We'll see if this gets worse. I wouldn't be surprised if this was suddenly fixed on a patch tuesday.

        I'll keep trying from time to time..

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: DHCP role disappearing.

          Do you have the installation logs? Do they contain any info about problems etc?
          A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: DHCP role disappearing.

            Are you using any configuration management? (like Kaseya, or Powershell DSC)
            Regards,
            Jeremy

            Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: DHCP role disappearing.

              Used to see something similar to this with an installation of SQL where it would constantly ask for a reboot.

              There was a registry key you could change. Will try and dig it out as it was system wide rather than just for one app.

              http://superuser.com/questions/78831...ql-server-2008

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: DHCP role disappearing.

                Originally posted by Blood View Post
                Do you have the installation logs? Do they contain any info about problems etc?
                The installation logs contains errors, I can't really estimate which ones are important but at the end, everyhting just ends with "ERROR_FAIL_REBOOT_REQUIRED"

                The log part of this role installation is 46k+ lines long so that would take some time sifting through.

                Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                Are you using any configuration management? (like Kaseya, or Powershell DSC)
                Nothing, we do use GFI for monitoring purposes and do so on a vast array of servers, including identical server and has never given us any problems. In fact, we install those servers (with GFI) and role out DHCP on the client location. So almost always after we've installed GFI.

                Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                Used to see something similar to this with an installation of SQL where it would constantly ask for a reboot.

                There was a registry key you could change. Will try and dig it out as it was system wide rather than just for one app.

                http://superuser.com/questions/78831...ql-server-2008
                I couldn't find anything corresponding to this. Thanks for the input though.

                Comment

                Working...
                X