• Installing .NET 3.5 on Server 2012R2 - major problems

Environment:
    Server 2012R2 Physical Server, upgraded from 2012
    DC / DNS / DCHP already installed
    Server is internet connected
    Licensed (TechNet) and activated copy of 2012R2
    [EDIT] Logging on via RDP as server is in remote location at present

Issue:
    Attempting to install the .net 3.5 feature failing multiple times at approx. 66% with errors similar to "unable to find source files"

Actions Attempted:
    1) Install feature via Server Manager - fails as above
    2) Mount 2012R2 ISO (TechNet) and specify D:\sources\sxs as alternative path - still fails
    3) both above via powershell (elevated) - still fails
    4) Downloaded .net 3.5 full installation from Microsoft - won't run as "feature needs to be installed via server manager"

Anyone got any bright ideas on this? - all the links I can find come down to specifying an alternative source for the installation files, but the relevant directory seems to contain only a manifest, not an actual installer

[EDIT] to save future readers, fixed using Wibble_Wobble's suggestion of disabling UAC (See post 12/13 below)
    Last edited by Ossian; 27th September 2014, 07:48.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Installing .NET 3.5 on Server 2012R2 - major problems

Anyone got any bright ideas on this?
    Format c: /q Rinse and repeat install

Had the same or very similar occurrence. The "built-in" feature was greyed out and I found a nice script to supposedly fix the problem HOWEVER, I ended up with the same answers as you as in 1, 2 & 3 though I used a DVD on the physical machine.

I was trying this physically logged on to the 2012 R2 DC and had what seemed like permission issues. Since AD successfully replicated and WSUS installed and worked I just left it alone due to time constraints. The really annoying part was I couldn't install the ReportViewer.exe program thingy to read the WSUS error(?) log. IE wouldn't let me download it due to permissions and copying from a mapped drive to another machine got it onto the Server but again not allowed to install the damned thing even as in your case Elevated Administartor.

Never got it sorted but it was a clean install and the only one of over a dozen installs I had an issue with. Bloody pain eh.

[edit] Sorry, no help but at least you know the problem isn't confined to your end of the globe. Media image was also supplied via Microsoft KMS licence agreement.
    Last edited by biggles77; 25th September 2014, 19:16. Reason: Add edit line
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm at about that stage too
      If it wasn't a DC I would probably blow it away and re-do it, but it is the FSMO holder for the domain (virtual ADCs as well) so I'm slightly reluctant to do so except as a last resort
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have you posted in the TechNet forums?

Shame we don't know a Microsoft Premier Field Engineer.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Nowhere else yet - I don't spam a dozen forums with the same question (unlike some posters here )

See what the Petri consensus is, then maybe go further.
          In the meantime I'm going to build a VM and try on a fresh 2012R2 install rather than the upgraded, patched one I have now.
          Tom Jones
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

Comment

Insomnia is a bitch.

Have you read this article? http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../hh825020.aspx Scroll down to the to Configure Group Policy for Feature on Demand.

I assume this is one of the scripts tried.
            Code:
             dism.exe /Online /EnableFeature /FeatureName:NetFx3 /All /LimitAccess /Source:X:\sources\sxs
            or
            Code:

dism.exe /online /enablefeature /featurename:netfx3 /all /source:D:\sources\sxs
            Powershell script
            Code:

Install-WindowsFeature NET-Framework-Core -Source D:\sources\sxs
            Post #6 (Thanks to MDL Forums) It mentions an issue with a second language installed. Do you have a second language installed on this Server? Try uninstalling it if you do and try Dropkick.Net 3.5 again. Seems this is a issue with Windows 8 as well (surprise surprise.....NOT!!)

And this one. http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/2734782 [Edit] Method 2 option perhaps.

(Hope I copied the right scripts above. It was 4 months ago I had this problem, no longer on site, so I have no access to my recorded notes)
            Last edited by biggles77; 25th September 2014, 20:06.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Cheers for those links, Chris Insomnia obviously has its good points!
              In order of your points above:

TechNet link: not tried - I have WSUS servers so will give it a go

Using the Install-Windows feature option rather than DISM - will give that a try

Language is UK English but IIRC the install is "United States" so doubt if additional packs are installed - I see (POst #2) there is an offline installer so may try that

Seen and tried Method #4 but not done anything with group policy yet...
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Well it's goodnight from me (I hope) and it's goodnight from him.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I have had it (in 2012, not in R2) fail like you've had from the GUI but work using the
                  Install-WindowsFeature cmdlet. Never tried the DISM method.
                  BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                  sigpic
                  Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I've had the same issue on a couple of our servers in our org.

It appears that when you run windows updates the disk effectively becomes obsolete.

I even tried downloading the relevant files from MS to install with no result.

In the end they weren't critical servers so I rebuilt them and added .Net prior to installing Windows Updates.

Comment

Thanks, gents - will keep plodding on and let you know

As usual, the solution is IBM (I Blame Microsoft) - why on earth is installing this one, fairly standard, feature so damned difficult?
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Had the issue a lot.
                        only read the post not the link, but I suspect its the same one I used.

Disable UAC.
                        Follow the instructions to use DISM to install .Net off the iso.
                        re-enable UAC.
                        The UAC part involves 2 reboots FYI.
                        Have not done the work on an inplace OS upgrade...
                        The most important thing in life is to be yourself.

Unless you can be Batman.
                        Always be Batman.

Comment

Rep++ to Wibble_Wobble

Disabled UAC (via regedit using http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ating-uac.aspx). Reboot required

Installed .NET 3.5 (DISM errored but it worked fine using Server Manager add features)

Just ready to reenable UAC and reboot again

Now to work out if it can be done without the 2 reboots!

Since this was on a patched, upgraded, 2012R2 DC, it should work on anything else

UAC was the one thing no other links or searches had mentioned, so many thanks for the post
                          Last edited by Ossian; 28th September 2014, 07:41.
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Cool.

Yes the UAC one is a clangers.
                            We were halfway thru trying PSexec as System to try the install, but never got and further in the testing.

Glad to help.

Always be Batman.

Comment

Just saw this reply from a MS PFE

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfepla...ng-source.aspx

Seems to talk about another possible error for the future, so be aware

Always be Batman.

Comment

Working...
                              X