Problem with account

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with account

Hi, I have just installed Windows Server 2012 R2 and set up a new domain. I am now moving computers to the new domain. This is a setup for 2 school computer labs where in each lab, all the users log in with the same username and password. In some of the computers I get the message: "The User Profile Service service failed the login. User profile cannot be loaded."

Now I understand this problem normally crops up in the case of a corrupt profile, but in this case, the profile is being created from scratch. Also, as I already mentioned, on half of the computers, the log in, and in half not. All computers have same hardware configuration, same number of windows updates, and same software.

The only thing that has worked for me so far is to format and reinstall from scratch these units. Short of that, any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Problem with account

Are you using roaming profiles or folder redirection in any way?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

No roaming profile or redirections

Comment

Also, i can log in with the domain admin account, but not with any other user account of the new domain

Comment

OK, lets start getting some more information:
          1) What OS are the client PCs
          2) Are they correctly joined to the new domain
          3) Could you previously log on with the user account and now can't, or could you never log on with the user account
          4) Have you tried creating a new account in AD and logging on with that
          5) Are there any group policies (e.g. restricted groups or user rights) that might prevent logons
          6) Are the client computers definitely in sync with the DCs or could e.g. clock skew be forcing use of cached credentials
          7) Are the clients using the DCs as DNS servers?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

1 - windows 7
            2 - yes
            3 - it's d first time i am logging in with this account
            4 - no because except d domain admin account, every username gives me that same message
            5 - no
            6 - yes
            7 - yes

Comment

Nothing like some detail in the answers - this is like pulling teeth

In your first post, you said you could log in to half the computers. Now you say the account cannot log in.

Also you originally said there is "one account" and now there are several
              Could you please give us some more detail

Specific troubleshooting
              a) create a new domain user account (from scratch) and try that
              b) check the "user profile service" is automatic start and running - it is set up thus on Windows 8 but I cannot check Win7
              c) check the event logs on both the client and the DCs for any errors or warnings related to logons
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

So, the setup is:2 Computer LabsPC Lab 1 - Seniors Lab - Username for everyone logging in on the 15 computers running Windows 7 which are physically located in this lab is SLPC Lab 2 - Juniors Lab - Username for everyone logging in on the 15 computers running Windows 7 which are physically located in this lab is JLI already had this problem on 6 machines in the Juniors Lab and fixed it by formatting and reinstalling Windows 7 and the software required from scratch.Now in the Seniors Lab, I have 7 out of 8 computers giving me the same problem. I was checking that all computers have windows and office updated properly and joining them to a new domain. When I log them on to the new domain and try logging in with the username SL, on some computers it was logging in and on others I was getting that message. When I log in with the domain admin username it works fine on these machines which are giving the problem. If to check I use a different username it still gives me that same error message. It's like these computers will not create new profiles (except the domain admin one).The SL username on the new domain hasn't even been created as when I logged in using the domain admin account, I checked if there's any profiles. Even checked registry but there is no trace. The computers are correctly joined to the new domain because in that case I wouldn't even be able to log in using the domain admin account. I need them to work with the SL username of course.User Profile Service is automatic start and running on all of the machines giving the problem. In the client event logs I found all the times I tried to log in with that username, the computer tried to create a temporary profile but failed. Is that an indication of what the problem could be?
                Last edited by GilbertSchembri; 18th September 2014, 15:16.

Comment

I tried putting some paragraphs into your reply but in the end gave up. I appreciate English may not be your native language but surely there are clearer ways of laying things out

A couple of things stand out - where did the SL username come from - you mention SLPC and JLI

Secondly, are you absolutely sure the computers are communicating properly with the DCs - the fact that the domain admin account can log on is screaming "cached credentials" at me

Finally, have you checked permissions on the C:\Users folder and confirmed the new profile can be created?

Have you (as suggested) created a new user account and tried that?
                  Have you tried giving domain users membership of the local administrators group and then tried?
                  Tom Jones
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

Comment

It should have read

So, the setup is:
                    2 Computer Labs

PC Lab 1 - Seniors Lab - Username for everyone logging in on the 15 computers running Windows 7 which are physically located in this lab is SL

PC Lab 2 - Juniors Lab - Username for everyone logging in on the 15 computers running Windows 7 which are physically located in this lab is JL

I already had this problem on 6 machines in the Juniors Lab and fixed it by formatting and reinstalling Windows 7 and the software required from scratch. Now in the Seniors Lab, I have 7 out of 15 computers giving me the same problem. I was checking that all computers have windows and office updated properly and joining them to a new domain. When I log them on to the new domain and try logging in with the username SL, on some computers it was logging in and on others I was getting that message. When I log in with the domain admin username it works fine on these machines which are giving the problem. If to check I use a different username it still gives me that same error message. It's like these computers will not create new profiles (except the domain admin one).

The SL username on the new domain hasn't even been created as when I logged in using the domain admin account, I checked if there's any profiles. Even checked registry but there is no trace.

The computers are correctly joined to the new domain because in that case I wouldn't even be able to log in using the domain admin account. I need them to work with the SL username of course.

User Profile Service is automatic start and running on all of the machines giving the problem.

In the client event logs I found all the times I tried to log in with that username, the computer tried to create a temporary profile but failed. Is that an indication of what the problem could be?

Comment

On another note,
                      I don't think that it is a problem with cached credentials as the profile was never created on the local machine.

Apart from that, all machines have the same hardware and software configuration with the same updates. All joined the domain roughly at the same time, all clocks are correctly set, but for some reason 7 out of 15 machines gave this problem.

I anyway checked with credentials manager and there weren't unneeded things to remove.

Comment

Originally posted by GilbertSchembri
                        The only thing that has worked for me so far is to format and reinstall from scratch these units. Short of that, any suggestions?
                        For the quote, my suggestion is to install WDS.

Is it the same machines giving you a problem?
                        Are these machines in a different OU that has different permissions or GPO?
                        Have you tried any of the Google solutions?
                        To clarify, can you logon with Domain Admin account as in make the User Account a Domain Admin (temporarily of course) and see what happens.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Thank you for changing the "syntax" of your post. It makes it oh so much easier to read.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                        X